Diesel turbo calculator? need to choose a turbo

General Chat And Help Regarding Turbocharging and Supercharging.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

V8James

Diesel turbo calculator? need to choose a turbo

Post by V8James »

Hi all

Its not a v8 but i cannot find another forum that can help so im hoping you guys can

isuzu 1.7td engine

I dont realy want to push the standard ihi rhb4 turbo too far + have it working at its limit all the time as it will be running at around 22psi so im looking for something a little bigger to work easier + give a tad more power too

Already got front mount ic, full system, decent filter + cold feed etc,

Any suggestions on what would be a good choice?
Im not fussed about it being same flange as ill happily make a manifold for whatever turbo so my choices are not limited

Was thinking of something like a t25 from a 300zx TT

Ive used erics turbo calculator but thats for petrol engines but i cant find one for diesels

Any suggestions to what may be best suited is greatly appreciated
cheers
james

Mark
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Mark »

Petrol turbos tend to have bigger exhaust housings which might cause it to be unresponsive on a low reving diesel.

That being said the RHB52 is available with very small exhaust housings.

I ran one on a turbo bike I built and had to change to a bigger exhaust housing as it overboosted.

Pic of turbo I used

With the bigger exhaust housing it made 209RWHP at 11,000rpm at 10 psi, boost started at 4000rpm on a 1000cc.

I was warned that at high boost it would need an uprated thrust bearing.

A variant of this turbo was used on the Daihatsu charade GTI 900cc if you can find one.

Mark
302 V8 Sierra 5 door sleeper under way

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Re: Diesel turbo calculator? need to choose a turbo

Post by stevieturbo »

V8James wrote:Hi all

Its not a v8 but i cannot find another forum that can help so im hoping you guys can

isuzu 1.7td engine

I dont realy want to push the standard ihi rhb4 turbo too far + have it working at its limit all the time as it will be running at around 22psi so im looking for something a little bigger to work easier + give a tad more power too

Already got front mount ic, full system, decent filter + cold feed etc,

Any suggestions to what may be best suited is greatly appreciated
cheers
james
More importantly, how are you controlling fuelling ? You can pump all the boost in the world in, but unless you are giving it the fuel it wants, it wont make any power.

And are you looking for a direct fit, or any turbo ? Which Isuzu engine is it ? What sort of power do you think you currently have ?

The obvious choice for power....is look at what the VAG guys are using.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

POAH
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by POAH »

the obvious route would be to go for the RHF5 which is the next stage up from the RHB4 (also found on the mk1 uno turbo lol). or you could could get VT15 type with the actuator controlled VNT off an old 110 or 115hp VAG 1.9 TDi. I'm sure if you contact http://www.crturbos.co.uk/ they will help you along. I'd be more inclined to get one of the actuator controlled VNTs as it should help with both low down and high up boost/power.

Return to “Forced Induction”