Blower help

General Chat And Help Regarding Turbocharging and Supercharging.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Crazy
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Blower help

Post by Crazy »

I want to supercharge my 3.5 RV8 but I can't seem to find any on the web, either google or eBay. What is the best, easiest n most affordable blower to go for that will fit the RV8?

Cheers

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Depends what type you want. GMC roots type blower is most traditional but means you have a bloody massive lump sticking out your bonnet (look at my mx5 thread in garage scene area), eaton type roots blowers are much more compact, common and used on the previous gen mini cooper s', jaguars, range rovers, mercedes etc, screw types are much better and more expensive, same sort of size as eatons, and finally centrifugal types- basically a big turbo that has no exhaust housing but is instead belt driven like any other supercharger.

Roots are generally cheapest and deemed good enough by loads of car manufacturers, ignore the "anti" forced induction places like Rpi, they're just after sales of their other engine options. You can bet if they started supplying blower kits they would rave about them.

You need to decide if you want carb or injection, what you are going to do with the car, and most importantly how you want the setup to look :twisted:
TC

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

My opinion is that actually fitting it in your engine bay is the most critical thing! There have been books and books written about the merrets of different superchargers but unless it fits its not much good!
Then you need to think about what you'll use it for?

There are three types of supercharger:
Roots = Cheap, good low torque, readily available but least efficient and lowest potential HP. Also probably most stress on a standard engine.

Centrifugal = Mid cost, good max power but poor low torque. Flexible fittment. most efficient.

Twin screw = Probabbly the best balance performance wise, good low torque and also good max power but also most expensive.

What ever you choose you should idearly use an ECU to control fuel and spark to have the safest control over the engine.

Tom.
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Fit? Who said anything about fitting inside your engine bay? :lol:

Dont forget you wont normally want to rev the pants off your RV8 so low torque is good. If you want to use a normal carb it rules out some types so bear that in mind.
TC

Crazy
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Crazy »

I want a scoop poking out the hood. The V8 is carb'd at the moment so no efi systems.

The roots ones sound the way really if it's cheap n good torque. I'll be using it as a daily driver n drifter so want power.

What cars do I need to raid for what parts?

Cheers

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

The options are rather limited if you want carbs and roots, eaton blowers supposedly will not run "wet" (when you have the carb before the blower and it draws fuel through the supercharger, dragster style), but they are common, the Eaton M112 or maybe M90 would just about do, they are found on Jags and Range Rovers, the M90's are often on bigger engined Mercs. Dont confuse them with the smaller M62 which is way too small.

http://www.v8forum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4285 shows my GMC 4-71 blower build, the best option for running a wet roots blower, but unfortunately it adds about 18" to the top of the engine which you can't relocate sensibly or hide. The GMC's are proper old skool and the only type allowed to be used for top fuelers etc (modified castings etc but the basic design in still there), but are massive. There are other options like the Wade blowers but not as good and a similar size.

Best option bearing in mind your budget and carb wants would be to use an Eaton M112 dry, and plumb it into a modified carb, then you will have enough height to justify a bonnet bulge, but the 'charger you can locate to one side of the engine with some neat plumbing. Where are you located?
TC

Crazy
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Crazy »

Ooooh, that's sexy with the big ass scoop!!

That's the basic sorta thing I'm wanting to go for, just want it mainly for looks I must admit, rather than going for a hidden blower, plus I ran a pro street drag Camaro years ago (admittedly that was all bolt on bits, no major skill involved with building it :oops: ) and that had the carbs before the blower like you said about and it drove really nicely, but I've driven cars with blown V8s with different set ups that didn't drive as nice.

I'm located in Bexleyheath, Kent

JP.
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by JP. »

UKBlowers kan suplie you a Weiand 142 kit for the Rover V8.
He can suplie everything you want.....
Its sits lower than a 4-71 and gives you some more sight over the bonnet.
Its allmost like the Magnacharger 110 I am running.
Makes it a bit more practical.
Ukblowers@aol.com
'73 Ford Capri. 3.5 RV8, Magnacharger 110 Supercharger, Merlin F85 Heads, Water/Methanol Injected
'73 Ford F250, 6.7ltr V8
Building a GT40 mk2

Crazy
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Crazy »

Cheers. I think a new one might be a bit out of my price range though really.

Return to “Forced Induction”