Newbie with a How much Boost Question?

General Chat And Help Regarding Turbocharging and Supercharging.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

polredt5

Newbie with a How much Boost Question?

Post by polredt5 »

Hullo all,couldnt see a section for newbies so here i am here straight to the point.My names Paul from the Isle Of Lewis,i have in the last year got the v8 bug!I am driving a 93,3.9 RRC,Lhd,66,778miles,that i put a Janspeed conversion kit onto.I found the Zytek ecu to be faulty,so am running it on standard management :oops: .I believe the zytek ran about 7 psi of boost,now i have the boost at 4 psi the now.My question is how much do you think i could go up with the boost?If any.Its got a frount mount on it also,a good cold air feed to air filter,but we only have the 95 ron fuel where i live.I could get octane boost if need be?Thanks in advance,Paul.
Oh and i have another Janspeed Roto master turbo thats going onto a 4.2,then into an 82 Vandem Plas as the near future project.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

without proper fuel and ignition control....tread very very carefully.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

As Stevie says your first issue is getting the fueling sorted and to get a proper mapable ECU on there. Until then I would stick with the 4 psi boost.
I presume the janspeed kit is a turbo set up?? has it got an intercooler with it? what is the CR of the engine? With an intercooler and proper ECU you can run an equivilent CR of about 10 to 10.5 to 1 on a rover engine, so with an un boosted C/R of about 9:1 you can go to 12PSI boost but to be honest without a little more information on the kit it is just a guess.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

polredt5

5 psi is plenty!

Post by polredt5 »

kiwicar wrote:As Stevie says your first issue is getting the fueling sorted and to get a proper mapable ECU on there. Until then I would stick with the 4 psi boost.
I presume the janspeed kit is a turbo set up?? has it got an intercooler with it? what is the CR of the engine? With an intercooler and proper ECU you can run an equivilent CR of about 10 to 10.5 to 1 on a rover engine, so with an un boosted C/R of about 9:1 you can go to 12PSI boost but to be honest without a little more information on the kit it is just a guess.
Best regards
Mike
Yep am treading carefully,the actuator was knackered i found today.So i put the proper one on it and what a difference,5 psi of pull and more of a whack when it spools up and holds the boost perfect.Defo happy with the way it delivers the boost now,its got a huge inter-cooler which came with the JS turbo kit.The Zytek ecu had a map sensor and did away with the air flow meter,but it wasnt putting out a spark or pulsing the injectors.After me buying the kit as a working one!I amnt going to be holding it at high revs anyway,for risk of meltdown. Any suggestions for an ecu to run it?And no sure of the CR,i was told all the rangeys were low compression engines? Thanks for the replys guys,Paul.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

You can run a variety of ecu's.

More importantly, is there anywhere local who can tune whichever ecu you may choose ?
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

polredt5

Post by polredt5 »

No where local,am on an Island up in the Outer Hebrides.I would need to tow a tanker behind me if i headed for the mainland in her.lol,Does this rule out getting an ecu to suit it,as one would need to be mapped specifically?

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

No matter what ecu you opt for, it will of course need mapped to suit your vehicle.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

polredt5

Post by polredt5 »

I think i am going to be phoning for one of these-MS2-Extra ECUs.apparently you can map them yourself,leads come with the kit for a laptop.I have a friend who maps Scoobys for a hobbie,he is clued up on that kind of stuff.So am sure he could sort it out for me.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

You can map any ecu yourself if you have the ability and knowledge. That is what aftermarket ecu's are for !
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

The engine numbers should give you a rough guide to CR Provided no one has rebuilt the engine to a different spec. Do you ever get out of second gear on Lewes?? :lol:
Mike
poppet valves rule!

polredt5

Post by polredt5 »

kiwicar wrote:The engine numbers should give you a rough guide to CR Provided no one has rebuilt the engine to a different spec. Do you ever get out of second gear on Lewes?? :lol:
Mike
Lol thats the second time i have heard the second gear joke on forums.It is pants that you have to be doing 52 odd mph to get the rangey to change into top gear.But hey we have plenty of long straights up here with not 1 speed camera on the island!Have heard the limiter in fifth on a few of my cars let me say(jacked up in the air of course).I changed the actuator on the Rangey for my spare as the one i had on to begin was shot. And am now getting pinking when on boost,gauge shows 5 psi odd.Am i right in saying retard the timing a bit?Plus i think the air flow meter isnt coping well with the increased rush of boost.Felt it kind of holding back for a sec then off she goes,ok if you gradually wind the gas on. :D Paul

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

If its detonating....which can destroy an engine in milliseconds by the way. Less timing or more fuel could be required.

And just because it isnt detonating, doesnt mean that its safe either.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

viola2572

ecu

Post by viola2572 »

Buy a good ecu, look for car transporters on the net get it taken to a rolling road for set up. £120 transporting it is cheap compared to a engine rebuild

Chrysler 300c estate, supercharged 16 inch discs, 7ltr 656 bhp Image

Return to “Forced Induction”