wade RO34 BLOWER

General Chat And Help Regarding Turbocharging and Supercharging.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

landy 88 v8

wade RO34 BLOWER

Post by landy 88 v8 »

hey up guys i posted a topic here earlyer in the week that ive been offered a wade ro34 super charger and a 3.5 rover v8 4bbl carb and lots of extras belts and pullys all included and the motor is in need of tlc i bought it for £600 .and i relly need help in respect of did i get a good deal and as much info on that type and the best way to get the best use cheers would much appreciate it guys .

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
To get the best out of it you need to have an idea of what you want out of the package. Let us say you want to end up at about 300 bhp with good road manners and a red line of about 6k.
Lets start with the base engine, a 3.5 rover , you will want to get this to a 200 bhp ish spec, so stage 1 heads waisted SDI valves and a 30 degree back cut on the valves, a fast road cam, a good stable bottom end with ARP studs holding it all together and ARP rod bolts ballance them, polish them then get them shot peened, with good rover pistons. standard rockers, but new, not warn. Good headers and the inlet ports matched to the inlet manifold (not the gasket)
To allow you to run the blower effeciently you need to get extra exhaust out so bigger exhaust valves, a bit more exhaust porting work and up one size on the headers, a wide LSA on the cam and exhaust lobe timing that favours the exhaust flow. I would go for either the viper stump puller cam of the turbo/ blower cam from real steel.
To get a 50% increase on base power you need at least 8 psi probably 8.5 psi boost which dictates 9 to 9.35 CR. the carb will need to be in good condition, with the boosters flowed and cleaned up, and the whole thing set up on a rolling road by someone who understands 4 barrel carbs.
Mike
poppet valves rule!

landy 88 v8

Post by landy 88 v8 »

wow sum stuff to take into concideration so there is a specific cam to use with a blower or could i use a standard i have a choice of blocks at the moment a polished up 3.9 honed and a early ish p6 3.5 block also polished and honed thanks for the advise coz i know sod all about superchargers and ive only rebuilt a bike engine and a v8 sd1 3.5 lump so hopefully this supercharged engine is a bit of an ambitious project but a lot of fun wen its finished cheers

bigaldart
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by bigaldart »

Real Steels blower cam is great, otherwise you need to look for 112-115 Lobe centres or LCA, minimising overlap is the key to a good blower set up.

Alan

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

If you are going to go for a blown engine the 3.9 is really a better place to start. Your biggest investment with a blown rover engine is getting a set of suitable forged pistons, forged rover ones are made in very small batches, the result is they cost more, £450 to £700+ a set.
If you can use forged pistons, or even hyperutetic pistons from ford or chevy they cost much less. The 3.9 rover has a 3.7" bore, this means 3.7" pistons from ford mod engines will fit and those from the 305 chevy at 3.736" can be made to fit with a suitable overbore. Your next issue is being able to fit the gudgeon pin, thet means either adapting the rover rod to take the ford/ chevy pin, or using chevy rods (with the correct pin) and machining the sides of the rods (and adapting rover bearings) not difficult but you need to work out what you want to do first as you don't want the piston sticking out the top of the block. Yes there are cams intended for use on blown engines, as I said above they favour exhaust flow and have a wider LSA.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Return to “Forced Induction”