Was a Paxton supercharger conversion, now a Rotrex C38-91

General Chat And Help Regarding Turbocharging and Supercharging.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

this was a custom made one mate, so no idea who by,

The charger took another step forward tonight when the kids offered to help pay for it all with their savings :oops:
watch this space, Pel & Mike i may still be out with you guys next year for a bit of bracket racing :D

Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

Stevie, just been sent the specs of the IC thats used with this Rotrex Charger in the TVR's,
IC length 520mm, height 400mm, width 70mm
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by r2d2hp »

Will that IC fit without cutting the car about. I have had to remove mine as it was tool small and could not get a larger one in

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

i will make the intercooler fit mate,
as the front of mines been cut about so much in the past i don't mind that bit. PLUS you wont see that where in the engine bay its noticeable,
Regards Tony C (COOPS)

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Surely a cheap RS500 shape intercooler would be an easy fit in a Capri ?

Or just buy a bare core, and fabricate your own end tanks ?
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by r2d2hp »

Not sure about the Mk3 but in the Mk1 there in no room due to the valance. Even if you extend then there is no air flow through it. I ended up with an IC that was restrictive and reduced boost and on top of that reduced air flow to the radiator and caused engine to run very hot.

The IC was as far forward as it could go i.e. was touching the metal behind the grill.

Was not prepared to cut the front valance about. Be interested to see how coops get one to fit

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Cut whatever needs to be cut lol
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Coops wrote:this was a custom made one mate, so no idea who by,

The charger took another step forward tonight when the kids offered to help pay for it all with their savings :oops:
watch this space, Pel & Mike i may still be out with you guys next year for a bit of bracket racing :D

Better get your finger out then Coops... The Dial in Day is 23rd March. BUT, it doesnt matter what you drive or even how quick it is for bracket racing?

If you can run consistent times you can win regardless of ET or MPH ?

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

JP.
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by JP. »

Just a tought..why not skip the whole IC thing and go water/methanol injection instead. These kits can be found cheap these days and saves you a lot of cutting and space.
You'll only need to cool the charge under boost. WMI is so effective an even gives a higher octane ( by the methanol )..

Got this one myself : http://www.ebay.com/itm/330245962178?_t ... c2&vxp=mtr
'73 Ford Capri. 3.5 RV8, Magnacharger 110 Supercharger, Merlin F85 Heads, Water/Methanol Injected
'73 Ford F250, 6.7ltr V8
Building a GT40 mk2

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

For race use only it is an option. Or I guess for lowish boost low volume of WI it is an option too.

But an intercooler is fit and forget and 100% foolproof. It works all the time and is zero maintenance.

But it definitely is an option.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

JP.
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by JP. »

Wel have it on the car for 4 years now. Done only 10k miles so far with it and had never issues with it.
Have a 300cc nozzle ( @150psi which is the capacity of the pump).
Have the activation point setted at 4psi boost ( roots blower does 10psi boost).
Have a one gallon reservoir for it which on normal situations wont run dry fast as in normal driving conditions there aint much boost to see.
Reservoir is fitted between the outer & inner wing of my mk1 Capri just in front of the front wheel.

And for track days..... it does 300cc/min...it only takes me 14 sec/¼mile meaning I can do a RWYB on Santapod driving it from Holland and go back to it on the same filling.
Consumption will be 65cc each ¼mile run. Takes lots of runs to consume a gallon.

Next advantage is its octane raising thing.
I dont need 4 star to run my car. Its running on 95 for years now. Engine has 9:1cr with the Merlin heads.
More info Be cooling
'73 Ford Capri. 3.5 RV8, Magnacharger 110 Supercharger, Merlin F85 Heads, Water/Methanol Injected
'73 Ford F250, 6.7ltr V8
Building a GT40 mk2

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

I know what it is, virtually every boosted engine Ive had over the last 20 years has used it, and under some circumstances it is very worthwhile.

But I'm not using it to replace chargecooling. I'm using it to suppress detonation and cool the chamber.

Ive about a 1.5 gallon tank....it lasts a few 1/4 passes. Could probably get a days racing out of a full tank.
I inject an awful lot though lol

Ive seen people fit kits to their cars though when it's of absolutely no need or benefit to them

Alcohol Injection Systems in the US make the neatest tanks, although I'm just using a windscreen washer bottle from another car.
There really are a multitude of kits out there though. Aquamist's stuff is probably some of the best though.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

well i picked up a near new RS500 cossie intercooler today made by Pace products
i have checked as far as i could inside for any oil traces etc and no traces can be found,
The guy i got it from is local and breaks cossies,

if i trim the side brackets down it will just squeze into the front grill area, need to buy some different cooling fans though
as the current ones are fitted to the front of the rad,

Regards Tony C (COOPS)

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Some aftermarket fans are reversible, but not all. You remove the blades and flip them over and reverse wiring..

Or if you can site the intercooler far enough in front of the rad, just leave the fans as they are.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

Nah with the intercooler in place mate ill have about 5mm between IC and rad :lol:
maybe able to use current fans on the other side, but are bulky so may look to see what fans are on the market and buy new slim line ones,#
does the IC need a fan?
Regards Tony C (COOPS)

Return to “Forced Induction”