intake plenum

General Chat And Help Regarding Turbocharging and Supercharging.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

barneybrendan

intake plenum

Post by barneybrendan »

this is straight six base
do you actually need the plenum chamber.what im thinking is pipe from the intercooler splitting then direct to the head.engine has eaton m90 fitted.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
you can split the induction system from a single pipe as you describe, like an exhaust manifold but in reverse. The reason for a plenum is that the effective length of the inlet tract is from the back of the valve to where the port runner opens into the plenum, this, if kept to about 12 to16" gives a boost in the upper mid range of the rev range on a typical cylinder capacity of 450 to 600cc, also the design makes the runners work indipendently of each other. If you make the induction length longer then you get a boost lower in the rev range, also you can start to get a cut in power higher up that follows the boost in power down the rev range. with a branched set up you will end up with an induction length that is from the back of the valve to the intercooler, it could be 3 feet of more, many off road boys use snorkle set ups to get their air from above whater when the wade, they often find that they get a good boost off idle but the engine will not rev properly beyond mid range. It is just more predictable to use a plenum and short (ish) runners.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

JP.
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by JP. »

I agree with Mike.

UKblowers opened up my plenum which created a noticable difference in performance. Wish I had that done earlyer.
'73 Ford Capri. 3.5 RV8, Magnacharger 110 Supercharger, Merlin F85 Heads, Water/Methanol Injected
'73 Ford F250, 6.7ltr V8
Building a GT40 mk2

Return to “Forced Induction”