RV8 Twin Turbo Esprit Help!!

General Chat And Help Regarding Turbocharging and Supercharging.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

wayneb911

RV8 Twin Turbo Esprit Help!!

Post by wayneb911 »

As you can guess from the title what i am doing.

i have a 1981 lotus Esprit which i am currently restoring. I have sold the old 2.2 twin cam engine and purchased a 3.5 V8 from a friend who removed it from his westfield. All going well next week it should be mated to the Lotus/Citroen gearbox and mounted in the car.

I am after some advice, pictures, pointers on what extras i will need apart from the obvious and also access to any parts that may still be in existance. Preferably used just to get me going with the installation and then may get new latter.

All your help is much appreciated. :D

Regards

Wayne

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Adaptor for the RV8 to UNI (Renault box) can be had ftom Tornado (GT40 manufacturer) Or Chris Cole - guru on all thins to do with the gearbox

Other than that please post pictures it sounds like a great project

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

What sort of power/boost are you intending? Do you have the turbo's and are you going with injection?
TC

wayneb911

Post by wayneb911 »

Hi Ian

Thanks for your reply

Unfortunatelly i cannot use the adaptor that they make. My car is an S3 which uses the citreon DS transmission. The latter S4 used the renault transmission. For simplicity i am using the standard gearbox as the car is fitted with inboard discs so changing this would mean fitting all S4 suspension as well and hicking the project budget up to high at present.

Regards

Wayne

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Hi

Before you go any further I would check what power and torque the DS gearbox can take.

I know the Renault UN1 will take about 350hp and torque jobbies in it's standard form

400 and you start breaking input shafts

450 and you splay the overhung 5th gear shafts

Yes there are internals now that can make it bulletproof for 700 hp but you'll spend about £3500 just to buy the internals and about another £500 having them fitted (Straight cut gears so be prepared for a lot of whyne)

And I am also fairly sure they moved away from the DS box because it could not cope with additional power

Just some fore warning

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Before you go too far, have you considered the Audi v8 and transaxel (3.7 jobbie is already on a 2 wd box) but a 4.2 can be fitted to any of the Gartrag transaxels and the deisel 6 speed jobbies are strong. Just with the time and money you'll save on not making an adaptor (and I think you will have to make one) you will be able to spend on fitting brakes out in the air where they won't overheat. There have been a couple of these fitted with the audi engine and the ones I've seen pictures of seem to end up very tidy.
Mike
poppet valves rule!

wayneb911

Post by wayneb911 »

Okay for some reason my replies are not showing so just sending this to see if this works!! Maybe because i attahced a link??
Regards

Wayne

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

there is a spam filter on mate so the forum cant get multiple posts from say a spammer,
you cant post for a set time (couple mins i think) after your last post.
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

wayneb911

Post by wayneb911 »

I did consider the Audi route but its alot more expensive and also the control side is a bit more complicated for me at this stage. Will think with the rover engine for now.

Any pictures anyone has will be great
Regards

Wayne

wayneb911

Post by wayneb911 »

Okay so a little heads up on my project. Tha adapter plate is now finalised and at the machine shop, hope to have it back next week and then i can install the engine and transmission.

Regards

Wayne

JC.
Getting There
Getting There

Post by JC. »

Are they fondmetal alloys on the car?
Image -JC.

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

My 2 pence in twin turbos. Easiest route would be to try and find a janspeed twin turbo set up like what I currently have. They ran low boost on carbs, on standard 3.5 engine with no mods and gave good power in the SD1s which they came in (250bhp IIRC). Or you could go single turbo, there is a kit in the classifieds right now for good money.

Anything above that and you need to modify, and spend. Depends on your budget really, but 250bhp-ish in that would be wicked. I think the main problem will be routing the exhausts.

The limitations on your set up will be the gearbox, and engine. If you rebuild the engine, I'd recommend ARP studs throughout (£300) as a minimum. Composite gaskets will help lower the comp ratios a little, you could even fit low comp cast pistons I guess. Crank and rods are good for pretty much anything but silly power or revs (say, 400bhp+). Clevite 77 bearings or equivalent are also a must. Decent oil pump/uprated spring, maybe a high torque cam like I have to give a bit of low end oomph.

Best money for a reasonably powered RV8 can be spent on the heads; port/polish, double springs, EFi valves, bullited guides (stage 2-3 depending on where you go).

But then again, if you go EFi . . . you could fit an intercooler . . . and then 8-)

All in all looks like a wicked project. Is there no way to make the Renault box fit?

wayneb911

Post by wayneb911 »

Unfortunatelly if i fit the renault box it means changing suspension hubs etc a whole lot more work. I have been cleaning and painting the engine and its comming up nice. Should have the adapter plate back from the machine shop friday which means next week i can drop the engine in for the first time. Still sticking with the twin turbo set up. Until i get the engine in i wont know if i have the space for the janspeed manifolds. Bein that the fuel tanks sit either side its a bit risky. Will assess this when its in and may mount the turbo's above the gearbox. Also will look at lower down the block as well like the Esprit V8 TT. Going to run a holley carb as they are cable of taking pressure pretty well. Also i think EFI is going to be to compliacted for me at this stage. Maybe latter???
Regards

Wayne

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

The Holley carb will need modifying to run boost through it, it won't work out of the box with anything more than atmospheric pressure IIRC.

wayneb911

Post by wayneb911 »

Decided i will ditch the carb route and have bought a complete EFI set up which will be reconditioned and added shortly. Well here is a few shots as the engine is in now. You can see space is an issue so blanking the water pmp and adding alectric one will be the next task. Also will need to shorten crankshaft pulley.. LOTS!!!

So from this...

To this...

Regards

Wayne

Return to “Forced Induction”