4.6 rover V8 centrifugal supercharger boost/ power limit?

General Chat And Help Regarding Turbocharging and Supercharging.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Boosted LS1
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Boosted LS1 »

Spend is the man for gaskets, his are copper. The downside is initial tooling costs but I'd pm him. I've been doing them as well but for another turbo engine but in composite with copper fire rings. Not sure if there's a big enough demand for rovers.

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

crayefish wrote:put some fairy liquid and water solution around the injector o-rings. if you get bubbles, they are leaking on boost

Looks like a pretty compact but nice setup. yeah V-belts will be useless for a supercharger unless the tension is very high but that would destroy your alternator bearings etc
I wouldn't say useless, I have seen quite a few motors with blowers running on V belts, not the most efficient but no problems either. You wouldn't use the one for your alternator either, straight off the crank pulley, maybe go double, though a ribbed belt would be better or a narrow toothed belt.
TC

crayefish
Getting There
Getting There

Post by crayefish »

topcatproduction wrote:
crayefish wrote:put some fairy liquid and water solution around the injector o-rings. if you get bubbles, they are leaking on boost

Looks like a pretty compact but nice setup. yeah V-belts will be useless for a supercharger unless the tension is very high but that would destroy your alternator bearings etc
I wouldn't say useless, I have seen quite a few motors with blowers running on V belts, not the most efficient but no problems either. You wouldn't use the one for your alternator either, straight off the crank pulley, maybe go double, though a ribbed belt would be better or a narrow toothed belt.
If you were going to the effort of a double groove pulley, then it wouldnt be a long stretch to get a toothed belt and pulleys. It is possible to get belts and pulleys etc from companies like RS components pretty reasonably priced, even though they are not designed for blower applications originally

Would a serp belt be a fair compromise perhaps? I am not sure if it would offer more grip.
Zander

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

eatons etc use serp belts
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Dont worry about the CR. The boost delivery from the CF blower wont cause any hassles if its tuned correctly.

Im near enough 9.5:1 now and running about 20psi at 7000rpm. Different engine, but not vastly different.

Remove your rocker gear, and pressure test the entire system

From blower inlet through to the intake valves. Make up a fitting for the blower inlet and hook up an airline via a pressure regulator. You'l soon find any leaks.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Can I watch, that will be fun someone lying on the front of the car with their head under the bonnet while you accelerate under load building boost so they can look for bubbles comming out around the injectors :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mike
poppet valves rule!

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Ribbed/serp, same thing! Probably pretty easy to make a bung and stick it in the end of the pipe, then drill a hole and put the air blower in, or stick an old tyre valve in so you can see how much pressure is in there with a tyre inflator thing.
TC

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

crayefish wrote:
put some fairy liquid and water solution around the injector o-rings. if you get bubbles, they are leaking on boost
Can I watch, that will be fun someone lying on the front of the car with their head under the bonnet while you accelerate under load building boost so they can look for bubbles comming out around the injectors
Mike

:lol:
Yes, That was always the issue. I wasn't able to put any load on the engine to test for leaks. My new inlet manifold is designed for the o-ring type injector anyway so that should eliminate that.

Well I feel better about my 9.5:1 compression ratio after your comments.

I'm going to stick with that. I plan to get it tuned on a rolling road so will make sure it is not detonating. I'm aiming for 8-10 psi which i'm sure will scare me enough!!

I only had the v belt driving the supercharger, nothing else, (using the spare v pulley on the rangerover crank pulley) I calculated it would be able to transmit enough power but would have had to have it very tight (too tight for my liking). In the end the belt failled anyway. The newer pulley systems use a sprung tensioner which increases the load it can transmit and the belt life. I'll be using the 7 groove serp belt. It also makes it easy to change pulley sizes as I can use standard alternator pulleys and off the shelf belts.

crayefish
Getting There
Getting There

Post by crayefish »

kiwicar wrote:
Can I watch, that will be fun someone lying on the front of the car with their head under the bonnet while you accelerate under load building boost so they can look for bubbles comming out around the injectors :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mike
That is what the missus is for! :lol:
Zander

Return to “Forced Induction”