supercharging a rover v8 for a newbie

General Chat And Help Regarding Turbocharging and Supercharging.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

jifop

supercharging a rover v8 for a newbie

Post by jifop »

hey guys, i'm hoping you can help as i have no idea what i'm doing! i have bought a roots type charger apparently suitable for a 2500cc-4200cc petrol engine and i am hoping to use it on my rover v8! the thing is thats all i have!

i think i have sussed that i need to modify my carbs and use it to blow through them is that correct? currently i have the standard twin SU's but should i be changing these for a 4 barrel holley type? if so do i want a 390cfm or 600cfm version? obviously i can build a bracket for the blower itself and power this from a pulley on the engine easily enough but what next? do i need an intercooler? do i need a sperate manifold or can i literally just plumb it into the top of the carb/carbs as they are?

any help will be much appreciated as i literally have no clue!

i do have a basic workshop with a small lathe, power hacksaw, welder etc.

thanks guys

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Have you considered going for efi with an aftermarket controler such as magasquirt or Vems? in the long run it will be much easier and probably cheeper as you will spend less time on the dyno sorting it out. Using a rover Hotwire of flapper manifold, throttle body. What type of blower have you? do you know of a similar project that has been done? Mounting brackets and drive will be your biggest issues. what are your max revs for the blower? what state of tune is your engine going to end up in? how much boost are you aiming at?
Sorry alot of questions, but worth thinking about at the early stage as having a plan saves alot of effort later.
Mike
poppet valves rule!

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Hi, what vehicle is it you are installing it in? I would say that intercoolers are not vital but preferable, of course you will drop the charge temp with one which is only good, you could consider a charge cooler instead if space is an issue.

I am supercharging my engine, and have a big old GMC blower sitting on the top, purely for the old skool look really (hence still using a dissy and 4bbl carb). If I was doing it again and didn't want the 18" sticking out the bonnet I would go with injection. Just to get you thinking!

TC

jifop

Post by jifop »

Have you considered going for efi with an aftermarket controler such as magasquirt or Vems? in the long run it will be much easier and probably cheeper as you will spend less time on the dyno sorting it out.

i had vaguely thought about mega squirt etc i just dismissed them as i believed them to be very very expensive! i bought this on a whim to be honest, i've always fancied a blower and figured it could be a good project!
Using a rover Hotwire of flapper manifold, throttle body.
That means very little to me!
What type of blower have you? do you know of a similar project that has been done? Mounting brackets and drive will be your biggest issues. what are your max revs for the blower?
This i don't know, its a universal rai 34, i assmue it lies somewhere between the 33 and 36 listed here

http://www.pdblowers.com/pr27-c9-33-urai.php
http://www.pdblowers.com/pr28-c9-36-urai.php
what state of tune is your engine going to end up in? how much boost are you aiming at?
no idea, wouldn't know what boost to aim for!
Sorry alot of questions, but worth thinking about at the early stage as having a plan saves alot of effort later.
Mike
thanks mike, i really have no idea and from your answers am wandering if i should stick to carbs! i know them! not even sure i've bought the right thing!
Last edited by jifop on Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jifop

Post by jifop »

topcatproduction wrote:Hi, what vehicle is it you are installing it in?
ford pop

jifop

Post by jifop »

what i didn't mention is that its a stock p6 engine with autobox, so i'd need a whole efi setup presumably to go megasquirt?

if i were to get these bits (assuming they are for RV8)
plus a megasquirt kit
undefined

MS1-Extra
Direct Coil Drive 8 cylinder Setup : £365

This setup has 4 spark outputs, perfect for running a wasted spark 8 cylinder engine with coilpacks. This is also suitable for use with a single coil (distributor based setup) when wanting to upgrade your engine to wasted spark at a later date, please let me know if this is the case. It is an ideal system for Distributorless setups that have a crank sensor and wheel. There are certain conditions that the signal has to give, please contact me with more details of your setup.
Note: This ECU now has the Tacho output fitted as standard!
This comes with all of the standard options plus an extra connector and wiring loom for the spark outputs, for £365 plus £10 postage to the UK or £15 Outside of the UK
what else would i need ignoring the supercharger?

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
I've had a look at the links you supplied, I think they are both industrial blowers, used for shifting flour, grain, sugar etc. The thing has an opperating range of about 2500 revs with max revs of 3600, the casing I think is cast iron (certainly by the look of the picture) and the overall weight of 74lb I recon you would have trouble mounting it on the engine directly because of the weight. You will have to under gear it about 1.8:1 and if it is an industrial jobbie you will need to do a blow through set up as the oil seals will not put up with petrol.
Where did you get it?
Mike
poppet valves rule!

jifop

Post by jifop »

all i was told was this
ROOTS TYPE 34M
FOR
PETROL ENGINES FROM 2500CC-4200CC
VERY CLEAN INSIDE
so it looks like i've bought another doorstop! yay!

but maybe not all in vain, at least i did some research into megasquirt!

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Are you sure those links are for the unit you have bought? Was this an ebay purchase or from a company, because either way sale of goods act still applies, the description

ROOTS TYPE 34M
FOR
VERY CLEAN INSIDE
Does not describe either of the items in the link you posted in that the ones in the links are not automotive blowers.
Got a picture of the one you have bought?? can you post it up?

Mike
poppet valves rule!

jifop

Post by jifop »

Listed in category: Cars, Parts & Vehicles > Car Tuning & Styling > Performance & Tuning Parts > Engine Tuning Parts

SUPERCHARGER V6 V8 ROOTS TYPE 36M

ROOTS TYPE 34M
FOR
VERY CLEAN INSIDE

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Have you got it yet?
can you post a photo?
Mike
poppet valves rule!

jifop

Post by jifop »

not yet, just the two in the above post
Last edited by jifop on Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Looks like an industrial diesel type blower to me! Very heavy and wouldn't have thought it was ideal for an automotive application as Mike said, you would be better off with an eaton M90 or M112 I would have thought! Have you asked the seller where he got the info from that it is for pertrol engines 2500cc - 4200cc?

TC

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
Its a fluid pump type blower, sort of thing you stick in an industrial plant for shifting non compressable fluids about (flour, sugar, talc, it even has a pipe fitting on the in and the out) it has no automotive aplication, (unless you count the back of a Hovis delivery tanker). Tell him the deal is off, that he has miss represented what it is on his ebay listing and you want your money back. You could never use it as a petrol engine supercharger the clearences on the casings will be big too big and the seals will be wrong, also the opperating range is not right and it will be too heavy.
Sorry to be a misery guts but....
Mike
poppet valves rule!

jifop

Post by jifop »

kiwicar wrote: Tell him the deal is off, that he has miss represented what it is on his ebay listing and you want your money back.
done, emailed via ebay and told paypal!

thanks guys!

Return to “Forced Induction”