Supercharging a P38 Range Rover

General Chat And Help Regarding Turbocharging and Supercharging.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Skier

Supercharging a P38 Range Rover

Post by Skier »

Hi,

I have a P38 range Rover with a V8 Developments 5.3ltr engine and Mark Adams Tornado chipped ECU. I'm looking into the possibility of supercharging this engine and wondered what the collective wisdom was?

Does anyone have recommendations for outfits/individuals that supercharge Rover V8s?

Regards

Skier

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I don't think there will be many outfits who can do that conversion.

There's some bad news on the RPi website about supercharging, but they are referring to a specific implementation which was flawed.

I think JE Developments might even be the only people that do it, however I have a feeling that they did the conversion referred to by RPi.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

I would think a 5.3 rover with a supercharger would be on the upper limit of what the engine block can take. I am assuming you are going for even more torque! also the added weight to try and get it all to hold together (botton end brace, brackets for the super charger, the supercharger itself) would make it seem more sensible to got SBC or LS2. A 383 chevy would stick you in the ball park of 400 bhp and 420 ft lbs for alot less money, A 6litre ls2 and an induction kit about the same, alot less outlay by you have sold the 5.3 and it would be alot less like a granade!
Mike
poppet valves rule!

JP.
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by JP. »

UKblowers can help you out. Situated in Birmingham.
Contact Nigel : Ukblowers@aol.com
'73 Ford Capri. 3.5 RV8, Magnacharger 110 Supercharger, Merlin F85 Heads, Water/Methanol Injected
'73 Ford F250, 6.7ltr V8
Building a GT40 mk2

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

I would have thought that being a special 5.3 then the pistons will be relatively high comp ratio, therefore unsuitable for 'charging?

Chedder

Post by Chedder »

Have a look at these chaps http://www.sc-power.co.uk/

They do it for 5L V8's so can't see it being a problem, fairly certain TVRpower in Coventry do it aswell.

Chedder
Old TVR's never die....they just get faster!

Skier

Post by Skier »

Hi All,

I've been in touch with SC Power. They have never done a Range Rover though are planning on buying one in Spring to fit and test. I've also been in touch with V8 Developments who built and fitted my currrent engine. They produce fantastic engines but are useless when it comes to customer service - they haven't replied!

I'll be contacting TVR Power. I've never heard of UK Blowers but will look them up and contact them.

I've previously read the RPI pages re the dangers of supercharging but the info seem to have been pulled.

When I had to replace the original engine I looked into the possibility of a Chevy LS1/2/6/7 but it was cost prohibitive as I don't have the time or knowledge to fit these myself.

Many thanks to all.

Skier

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Ring V8 Developments and ask to speak to Rob, that's what I always do and their customer service is excellent. Not sure on the email front though. They are our forum sponsors.

You'd be advised to find out the compression ratio of your current engine before anything else, as that's gonna determine whether it's even possible to supercharge it or not.

JP.
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by JP. »

chodjinn wrote: You'd be advised to find out the compression ratio of your current engine before anything else, as that's gonna determine whether it's even possible to supercharge it or not.
Not quite true with these days technologies.
Remember we are talking about ally blocks and not cast iron boat anchor's.
Ally blocks have differend heat and expansion ratings making it more suitable for higher cr and boosting.
Look at the new Chevy 10:1 cr V8 engines running Eatons.

I had 9.6:1cr and 7psi with no probs at all before the Merlin heads came on.
Have a friend running a 500ci 10:1 Indy V8 running a 8-71 with no probs.

I mean with this, its not impossible. be shure you'll use proper managment systems to control detonation.
'73 Ford Capri. 3.5 RV8, Magnacharger 110 Supercharger, Merlin F85 Heads, Water/Methanol Injected
'73 Ford F250, 6.7ltr V8
Building a GT40 mk2

Return to “Forced Induction”