T3 garret

General Chat And Help Regarding Turbocharging and Supercharging.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

Dont waste money getting anodized billet stuff just yet. I've got standard actuators on mine and have been up to 12psi of boost - not tried any higher so far.

look at the photos here:
http://www.mez.co.uk/turbo6.html
you can see them fitted.

Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

bones
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by bones »

cheers all, i will get a book so as i dont have to keep asking to many ???, and cossie stuff it is, but some bling is 8) .and found a step by step guide to making the manifolds :D rich

bones
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by bones »

Ok im dragging this up again ,for a rover v8, the manifolds arent a problem as i can make them, but the fuel side is puzzling,is my weber 500 is any good with a top hat or does it relly need a holley, or would SUs be ok, and could it still be able to make good bhp with them???, ,and the use of a standard crank ,std rods but use forged pistons, is that right :?rich

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

You wanting a blow through system then Rich? If so I think SU's have to be modified a bit due to their variable venturi design, but I could have just completely made that up :? so someone will have to clarify!

Personally I have never liked the look or idea of a top hat on an AFB, and you may have problems with air leaks. As I am slowly being drawn over to the dark side :barf , have you thought about injection?

TC

bones
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by bones »

no darkside for me, to complicated all that injection stuff, not sure about blow or suck through, i would think a suck through system would be easier using S,Us, , :? rich

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

Suck through would be easier, Chodjin may sell you his 2" SU's that were on his 3.9 TT sucker if you ask nicely!!! Performance wise not sure which is better...

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

I have the adapters for the turbos as well, and throttle linkages.

bones
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by bones »

PM sent :) rich

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

You can do blow-through SU's. Metro & Montego Turbo's had them. There were some alterations however to pressurise the float bowl to prevent the boost pressure stopping fuel delivery to the needle.

Sadly there were no blow-through 2" SU's as standard as far as I am aware.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

bones
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by bones »

i think suck through is easier for me, as for the inlet manifold, ive got a edelbrock could i make up a box to go on it , and if i use twin intercoolers i would only need 1 tube coming out of it, or are 2 better, as ive said before i know nothing about turbos, as youve already guessed :oops: rich

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

I'd say 1 bigger intercooler is better than 2 small ones, you have half the amount of pipe work that does no cooling (just increasing lag) then, but itwould be hard to make each sides pipework the same length. I'd also have thought the inlet manifold is not as crucial as with a NA engine, so you could use the eddy or anything else. Is this for your RV8 or SBF Rich?

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

can anyone give me/Rich an idea what my twin turbo parts are worth? :

Twin SU 2" with janspeed mounts for T3 size turbos
throttle linkage
chromed plated cross-over pipes
SU inlet manifold ported (for stage 3 heads)
And a Janpseed oil breather kit I think?

Basically the full Janspeed twin turbo conversion without turbos/manifolds?

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

but if you use suck through you can't use an intercooler (not that you need on for low boost turbo set ups using suck-thru).

bones
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by bones »

so intercooler only with a blow through, if no intercooler is used then the boost will have to stay low, and what bhp would it be without an intercooler on a 4.6 rover lump, or is it more effort than its worth bhp wise?? :? rich

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

bones wrote:so intercooler only with a blow through, if no intercooler is used then the boost will have to stay low, and what bhp would it be without an intercooler on a 4.6 rover lump, or is it more effort than its worth bhp wise?? :? rich
Yes on the intercooler front.

Don't really know for sure, but I think the Janspeed kits ran at about 5-6psi without intercooling and produced crica 250bhp on the old 3.5 lumps.

You could get away with higher boost by using comp gaskets and low comp pistons. I know stevieturbo ran a 4.6 twin turbo lump, running about 15psi and almost 500bhp (standard internals) - but his was intercooled.

Return to “Forced Induction”