Range rover signal turbo

General Chat And Help Regarding Turbocharging and Supercharging.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Gaz

Range rover signal turbo

Post by Gaz »

Hi I'm new to this forum

I'm looking building a single turbo for my 1986 Range Rover (3.5 on carbs)
I'm not new to a Turbo engines i have had a lot of turbo cars in the past starting off with a MG Metro Turbo and My latest car a Skyline R33 GTST but i am new to a V8 so what i need to know is.
1. is there if any work to be dun with the pistons
2. use 3.5 efi or use 3.9 efi (I've got a complete ex police disco 3.9efi system) or stay with a carb setup.
3.only need to run around 0.5bar-0.7bar boost

Thanks for your help

toughy V8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by toughy V8 »

often there are janspeed turbo conversions for the range rover pop up on ebay there a very basic turbo setup using carbs but should be fine for what your after

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Hi,

1. As long as the rest of the engine is in good nick, the standard pistons should be able to cope with about 8-10psi.

2. Doesn't matter what EFI you use, they're both the same. However, remember you'll have to change the fuel system (pupm, lins etc.) as your current carb system won't be sufficient.

3. If you want to stick with carbs I have a janspeed twin trubo set up on my RV8 but am currently in the process of fitting EFI, so I have two HIF-8 Jag carbs and all the turbo mounting parts if you're interested. Drop me a PM.

thanks

Boosted LS1
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Boosted LS1 »

I can get a custom single turbo built for £550 with internal wastegate or you could plump for a pair of t3's from a saab.

Boosted.

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Boosted, what sort of spec would the turbo have for that price? What would be the compressor size etc.?

My twin turbo set up only runs at about 5-6psi, not really enough . . . :twisted:

Boosted LS1
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Boosted LS1 »

I don't have the specs to hand but I had one custom built for a v8 4.0 tvr. The idea was to provide 6-7 psi from one rebuilt t3 to keep costs down. Nothing fancy inside. The intention is to market a single turbo kit for stock c/r engines. I know the comp wheel looked prety big :)

Boosted.

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

hmm, the T3 comp wheels ain't that large IIRC. I think my Rotormasters are AR .70 if that helps, will check when I get home.

Boosted LS1
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Boosted LS1 »

chodjinn wrote:hmm, the T3 comp wheels ain't that large IIRC. I think my Rotormasters are AR .70 if that helps, will check when I get home.
I think it's a rotomaster t4 hybrid, I've done that before now.

Boosted.

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

yep, I believe Rotormaster called them the T04B (therefore T4 flange I reckon - possible a T3-sized turbine with T4 compressor?). Ah well as long as they work . . . :D

Boosted LS1
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Boosted LS1 »

chodjinn wrote:yep, I believe Rotormaster called them the T04B (therefore T4 flange I reckon - possible a T3-sized turbine with T4 compressor?). Ah well as long as they work . . . :D
T3 flange/turbine stuff and, T04B compressor iirc.

Boosted.

Return to “Forced Induction”