Wade ro34 on rover v8

General Chat And Help Regarding Turbocharging and Supercharging.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

sowen
Getting There
Getting There

Wade ro34 on rover v8

Post by sowen »

I've got a few questions regarding the old wade ro34 blower units. I've just gone and bought one in original as removed condition from an old commer truck. So far it's been stripped down and cleaned up, the bearings are all good and I've spent some time polishing the rotors and removing the elbow to give a good flat surface top and bottom. I am making an adaptor for an injection manifold with a 10mm aluminium plate held on by countersunk screws in the original holes, and a 40mm aluminium block bolted to the blower to correct the orientation of the aperture to the inlet tracts of the injection manifold. I've ordered a cheap second hand holley 4 barrel 600cfm from america to go on top of this set up. I also acquired a 35mm solid steel bar from my local steel merchant and a roller bearing and oil seal for the front drive snout, which I intend to fabricate myself.

Here it is mocked up for the first time on a spare block with a 40mm block of wood where the big adapter block will sit

I'm thinking I'll be mounting it on my 3.9 lump in my rover p6, and by my measurements, the rear of the blower will be sitting at bonnet level, with carb and intake above the bonnet, is there any legal requirements/issues with a set up like this on a road car?

I've found some matching drive pulleys and 3" belts on ebay usa, are there any UK suppliers of suitable belts and pulleys?

The front and rearmost inlet tracts on the injection manifold are not in direct line of the blower, I'm putting a large cavity above them in the 40mm aluminium block, but don't know if i'll be running into issues with uneven fuel distribution with this set up, are there any diy ways of checking flow rates through the 8 ports?

Is fuel injection or carbs better for a beginner into supercharging? I'm only using the injection manifold because it is what I've got lying around, but it does give me the option of using the holley as a throttle body.

Does anyone know what the oil level should be in the wade ro34 unit, I understand it should be 20w50 but don't know how high the oil level should be?

I don't have ready access to lathes or mills, but can make most parts with a power drill, angle grinder and hammer :lol: Any comments, views and advice is welcome.

Simon

1972 Rover 2000TC M16 turbo
1975 Land Rover OM606 diesel
1984 Rover SD1 3500 Megasquirt powered

sowen
Getting There
Getting There

Post by sowen »

So far I've cut down a spare trumpet base to give clearance to allow for fitment of the fuel rail. The 10mm adapter plate is bolted to the top of the trumpet base, which only needs some excess material trimming off where it is not required. The 40mm block has had the hole roughed out, and I'm currently in the process of finishing it off to match the manifold and blower ports. The blower is going back together temporarily until I decide whether it is going to be polished or painted.

Simon

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

So you are going to run fuel injection? (re the fuel rails)
If so, are you sure that the blower is ok to run on a dry charge?
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

sowen
Getting There
Getting There

Post by sowen »

I'm going to start off on carbs to get it running, but I will probably go down the injection route someway down the line, so I figured that it is simpler to build it with injection in mind at a future date. As far as I'm aware, it came off a diesel engine so would have been run with a dry charge anyway. Gotta admit I never thought of that before.

Simon

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

Right - if its from a derv-burner you should be ok.

The ony reason I mentioned it, is because the wieland/holley blowers for chevys cant be run dry.
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

sowen
Getting There
Getting There

Post by sowen »

Ahh I didn't know that. I've seen a schematic of the commer ts3 diesel these were fitted to, and I think they're direct injection or something along those lines. From memory these units run with quite wide tolerances anyway so no parts should come into contact at any time.

Simon

Blown v8
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Blown v8 »

dont buy the 3inch pulley set-up, it saps too much power, a 2 inch belt is more than enough !

HDom

Post by HDom »

Hi Simon,have you made anymore progress with the blower mounting as thats what i am intending to use to mount my ro 34 (injection manifold/ally block) thanks Dom.
I aint getting on no plane FOOL

sowen
Getting There
Getting There

Post by sowen »

I've had to put this on the back burner for a while, as its going into a rover p6 I don't think the rear axle can handle this, so I'm putting a hybrid rover / jaguar axle in right now that is taking up all my time, but I've decided to drop the wade as low down as possible by getting the injection manifold machined down as far as possible and run pure carbs, then I'll probably have to start from scratch on all the adapters etc.

Simon

Return to “Forced Induction”