Inlet Pipe Diameter Intercooler

General Chat And Help Regarding Turbocharging and Supercharging.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Inlet Pipe Diameter Intercooler

Post by r2d2hp »

Is there a formula that can be used to calculate the inlet pipe size needed to run from a supercharger to intercooler and then back to inlet plenum.

My SC and Plenum are 76mm and intercooler is 63mm, will I be restricting the airflow by using a 63mm pipe rather than increasing to 76. I assume a restriction will only occur if the flow is more that can be handled by the pipe diameter.

Hope someone can advise.

Thanks

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

If you are making more than say 6-700bhp, then I would consider stepping up to 3"

If below that, then I wouldnt worry. And even at that...chances are 2.5" would still work fine.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by r2d2hp »

Thanks for the reply Stevie.

Am making nowhere near that. 220 rwhp without the SC so it sound like I will be fine then.

Just to confirm the 63mm that I quoted is the internal size of the pipe that will connect to the internal, the actual size of the hole that goes into the IC is about 53 mm.

Am I still going to be ok, if not I will get the ends cut off the IC and some larger ones welded on.

Thanks

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Obviously smooth transitions and smooth step free pipework is always going to be better.
So if you can upgrade so its the same throughout, all the better

But the even 2" plumbing will be totally fine for your power levels. Pipes can flow a lot of air when boosted.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Return to “Forced Induction”