supercharging an mgb

General Chat And Help Regarding Turbocharging and Supercharging.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

ppyvabw
Guru
Guru

supercharging an mgb

Post by ppyvabw »

Don't know much about supercharging. What supercharger would I use to blow an mgb, without it sticking out the bonnet? I thought I could use two small superchargers, one either side, and pipe em up to an sd1 manifold or something. Would this be feasable?

Excuse my ignorance.

JC.
Getting There
Getting There

Post by JC. »

I cant answer the question directly, but, i'd imagine the biggest problem you'll face is driving the charger. There isnt much room infront of the front pulley.
You may have to consider an RV8 front ARB I believe they curve underneath the pulley?

Would you be thinking of the "sprintex" setup fitted to some rangerovers?
If you use a P6 style pent roof manifold and an RV8 bonnet you might be able to blow into those?

I'd like to supercharge my MGBGT one day, but it wont be a rover V8 and it will be coming through the bonnet!
Image -JC.

ppyvabw
Guru
Guru

Post by ppyvabw »

I was thinking along the lines of two small blowers, sat just above the exhausts, in place of the alternator and similar on the otherside, and piped up to a pent roof jobba. I have an mgc bonnet, so the pent roof might just squeeze under the bulge. Then there is the issue of the pulleys.

It's difficult to picture how much space there is not cuurently looking under the bonnet.

Don't know what a sprintex on a range rover looks like. lol

I don't wanna carve up my bonnet. I like the discreet look lol.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

If you are going to fit a blower above the exhaust....do it properly with a turbocharger ;)
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

ppyvabw
Guru
Guru

Post by ppyvabw »

stevieturbo wrote:If you are going to fit a blower above the exhaust....do it properly with a turbocharger ;)
Hahaha, sod that :lol:

Wotland
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Wotland »

Hello,

The Sprintex Carb version :

And the Efi version :

May be I will have mine for sale soon.

JC.
Getting There
Getting There

Post by JC. »

The set-up posted by WOTland wont fit under a C bonnet.
The C bonnet increases clearance at the front and tapers back - the original application being necessary clearance for the Radiator and rocker box on the 29G engine as fitted to MGC's

Su's fit under an RV8 bonnet with no clearance issues.
Unfortunately, the charger would come through the bonnet for definite.
You MIGHT be able to get that to fit if you were to graft an RV8 style tear-drop onto the back of the C bonnet. The extra clearance the C bonnet gives at the front may be enough to hide the charger.

Realistically, I think you may have to sacrifice the bonnet if you want to supercharge an RV8. Unless of course you convert to EFi using a federal style plenum and utilise the side mounted sprintex charger?

Turbo charging isn't really an option either in that there will have to be two humps at the front of the bonnet for each SU carb dash pot. I think there is a member on here with this set-up?

The best option is EFi on a federal plenum. Although, even then clearance isn't guaranteed.
Image -JC.

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Yeah that would be me mate. Had two bulges forward of the turbo for the HS8 carbs. They've gone now as I'm fitting EFI. Pent roof clears the MGC bonnet easily.

Twin supercharging is going to be an issue in an MG engine bay - where would you fit the alternator?

Twin turbocharging on the other hand, fits quite well! See my thread in the my garage bit for some photos - I've not got much space left! :lol:

Return to “Forced Induction”