Best Camshaft for TT

General Chat And Help Regarding Turbocharging and Supercharging.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Overlap is ground in....that cannot be changed.

I assume your is actually running then ??

What does it sound like ? idle etc ?

9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

alex
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by alex »

No not yet
The holidays are for finishing its build :D
Got to do the wiring, finish a bit of plumbing and mount the blower a bit neater now we have sorted out the belt route.
If i could figure out how to post pics I would put a few up
cos the boys who did the exhausts and plenum have done an excellent job.
It wont run until it goes to the dyno as I havent got any maps to put in the ecu and I dont want to bore wash it or run it weak oh and the oil tank is not finished yet.

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

http://www.v-8.org.uk/forum/faq.php?mode=bbcode down bottom of page for adding pictures.

JP.
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by JP. »

IMO I think Kent cams is right on this one. Whats good for an 3.5 doesn't mean it's good for a 5.0 and vice versa. So I thinks this Xtreme 3.5 cam might do the trick in a 5.0.

I am realy curious about the Dyno results with this cam cause we all can learn from it.
'73 Ford Capri. 3.5 RV8, Magnacharger 110 Supercharger, Merlin F85 Heads, Water/Methanol Injected
'73 Ford F250, 6.7ltr V8
Building a GT40 mk2

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

The cam is still big...

They are Wildcat heads you are using ??? And you said you wanted only 330bhp ???

What CR are you using ??

How fast do you intend to spin the blower ??

If you are on a 5.0, with Wildcat heads and the blower, and its setup right, I really dont see why you couldnt be pushing a very very easy 400, with the prospect of 500 being a more realistic target.

What sort of fuel system are you intending to use ?? pump, injectors etc ??

I certainly wouldnt be sizing them based on a 330bhp goal !!!
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

alex
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by alex »

Hi All.
Thanks for the comments.
The cam was supplied and recommended by Ian, Its been built around using that blower from the start so for now I will run with it.
Its spec is. 5.0L, 8:1 cr, stage 1 wildcat heads, a turbo block, wildcat rods and forged pistons, the crank is also wildcat.
Blower is procharger d1sc. We have three sets of pulleys for it with an 8in dia crank giving 53300rpm 56853 rpm and 60914rpm all at 6500 rpm crank.
It has an aeromotive a1000 pump with -10 main line and -8 fuel rails and 48lb/hr injectors.
Its intercooled and is at the moment using twin 75mm throttles.
Motec m800 injection sytem.
The plan is to set it up on the dyno with 4 maps one for each pulley and one n/a. from 8th jan.
It will be interesting to see if it works :D and how well.
As you say stevie 330 should be way easy.
Alex

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Whilst its too late now....

I'd have opted for much higher CR. You wont be needing a lot of boost to make power.

I'd have been aiming for closer to 9.0:1

I would look into more idlers ( with sidewalls ) for the blower belt, to eliminate any possbility of the belt jumping around, during on/off throttle at higher rpm's, although being auto, it may not be as violent as a manual car.

And I would also dump one of your TB's. One 75mm TB is more than ample.

2 of them will make the throttle horrible to use. You will be letting in far too much air on small throttle openings. Effectively it will seem like you are nailing it, when you are only touching the throttle.

A single 75mm TB on an boosted LS1, really isnt posing a restriction, even around 7,8,900+

Even me switching to a carb intake with an 85mm TB has made a big difference to low opening throttle response. It is in a good way, but also requires more care on slippery surfaces than before.
2 x 75mm say even at 10% is a huge amount of air to be letting in. Although again, your auto may dampen the effects a little.

With your current setup, at 8.0:1 with suitable pulleys..... ( and larger injectors ) you have the potential for in excess of 500bhp, without too much difficulty I'd say, and very safely on regular SUL fuel...probably even 95RON given the CR.

Look forward to hearing the results !!!!!
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

Blown v8
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Blown v8 »

I had a cam made, over 500 lift,more duration on the exhaust side, Now the important stuff, 114 degree lobe centres! u need minimal overlap on a blown motor, it doesnt matter how radical the cam is, the blower smooths the roughness out !Had mine dynoed i made 420bhp and 410lbs of torque at 5800rpm

Return to “Forced Induction”