vortech supercharing a griffith 500

General Chat And Help Regarding Turbocharging and Supercharging.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Re: Suprecharger...

Post by Eliot »

georgiex wrote:I'd probably need a bottom end upgrade for the 5litre to be reliable
I'm not entirley clear what the options are for making the bottom end stronger. The TVR crank has a habit of snapping anyway. I assume you would have to look at an alternative supplier of cranks.

Have a thumb through the major [tvr] mods section over at PH:
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/forum.asp?h=0&f=155
For some ideas of what others have done.

Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

georgiex

Post by georgiex »

Been on the interweb and read through a few chevy conversions for Trevors, and as I suspected, it's alot more involved (and pricey, see pistonheads Chimera LS6) than just an engine swap.... I did that kinda thing nearly 20 years ago when I put a holley carbed v8 into a TR7 convertible, then shortly after put the TR7 into a shopfront.... :shock: ..... So thinking bout a 5.5 litre conversion with low comp pistons as these 5.5's seem to keep together when racing (unlike the 5litre)...... Anyone any experience or read anything?
standard tvr 500 griffith but its just not fast enough..... any ideas?

daxtojeiro
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by daxtojeiro »

Ive driven and tuned one of Robs (V8 Developments) 5.5L engines and he thrashed the guts out of it and maintained that it would handle it and he was right. It is a very good engine that Ive seen take a hammering and survive with no effects to it. Its what I want to fit next, it is an amazing engine and is still the fastest car Ive ever been in,
Phil

http://www.extraefi.co.uk/cobra/accobra.htm SuperCharged 5325cc V8 Cobra Replica (Full sequential Fuel and Ignition MS3 management)

HairbearTE
Guru
Guru

Post by HairbearTE »

All this talk of LSx power is starting to get to me. Ive always known I could get one for less £/hp than my rover, but that new ls2 with the victor intake for £3900 is just soo tempting! I'll be strong though and stick to my original build plan for now. Odd thing is though, I opened a packet from the postie the other day and found 4 shiny engine stand bolts for an ls2 engine, now how d'ya suppose THAT happened? :D

RobertE

Post by RobertE »

HairbearTE wrote:All this talk of LSx power is starting to get to me. Ive always known I could get one for less £/hp than my rover, but that new ls2 with the victor intake for £3900 is just soo tempting! I'll be strong though and stick to my original build plan for now. Odd thing is though, I opened a packet from the postie the other day and found 4 shiny engine stand bolts for an ls2 engine, now how d'ya suppose THAT happened? :D
Same here.. and ls1's are so plentiful here.. only thing holding me back is the ease of the rover swap into the mg-b... It would be alot cheaper to get to my 400rwhp goal with a ls1

topsparks

Post by topsparks »

Robs 5.5 engines are bullit proof,mine once reved to 7,200 with no problem,and trust me if I can't break it no one can!

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

topsparks wrote:Robs 5.5 engines are bullit proof,mine once reved to 7,200 with no problem,and trust me if I can't break it no one can!
bet i can :twisted: :lol: :lol:
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

toughy V8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by toughy V8 »

you really are better off with an ls1, and there becoming really cheap too, ive just bought one complete with a 4l60 box for £1500 and procharger do the the bolt on supercharger kit conversion for these 550bhp at 7psi with no ecu mods

ihatesissycars
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ihatesissycars »

Blimey! Where did you get that from?
V8'less but a fountain of dorky knowledge ref v8's!

dnb
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by dnb »

Nice to see another Griff owner on here :)

toughy V8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by toughy V8 »

Blimey! Where did you get that from?
i got it from knight racing services via ebay, they can get anything you want for these engines too

ihatesissycars
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ihatesissycars »

Do you have a link to the member?
V8'less but a fountain of dorky knowledge ref v8's!

toughy V8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by toughy V8 »

dont have alink but i have the number 01327871177

georgiex

Post by georgiex »

Hi everyone, been away reading up on the frailties of the 5 litre in the griffith..... I spoke to mike johnson at boost performance and he seemed quite blase about the basic strength of the crank and suggested that if I wasn't gonna rev the nuts off it, £2k would be enought to sort the bottom end out (pistons, crank and con rods.....).... However, read on pistonheads that the 5 litres have top end problems and tend to need a £1k rebuild from about 40k miles...... :cry: .... My engine runs smooth as silk (having had a rebuild some time ago)......

We still looking at an LS1 n if so, anybody wanna fit it for £500 squids? :wink:
standard tvr 500 griffith but its just not fast enough..... any ideas?

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

georgiex wrote: anybody wanna fit it for £500 squids? :wink:
Oh, how i laughed...
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

Return to “Forced Induction”