vortech supercharing a griffith 500

General Chat And Help Regarding Turbocharging and Supercharging.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

georgiex

vortech supercharing a griffith 500

Post by georgiex »

having recently caught the ebay bug n never having gown out of "performance enhancing" my cars, i am now the proud owner of a v1 vortech supercharger in t-trim.... this followed a lengthy conversation with gav about his eaton 112 n he was the one who directed me here.....

so any ideas on a preferred route for reliability vs power output as i was hoping for 450 to 500bhp.....

standard tvr 500 griffith but its just not fast enough..... any ideas?

ihatesissycars
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ihatesissycars »

Ello! Did you buy that because of what i said?
V8'less but a fountain of dorky knowledge ref v8's!

HairbearTE
Guru
Guru

Post by HairbearTE »

You need to check out phils cobra site. For a while he ran a 3.5 rover with a centrifugal blower and I believe he was making over 300bhp with a sensible level of tune. It should be easy enough to get over 400bhp from 5 litres and although 500 would be a little bit lively its still well within the realms of possibility. I cant remember the link to phils site off hand but no doubt someone will post it here for you! Its really an excellant account of his work with the cobra through its various engine guises and contains much information that will be valuable to you during your conversion.

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

daxtojeiro
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by daxtojeiro »

Hi there,
I have the 500 engine in the cobra now and did concider blowing it like I did the 3.5, but its simply not strong enough. The plan now is to fit one of Rbos 5.5L engines and then blow that if I get bored.
Phil

http://www.extraefi.co.uk/cobra/accobra.htm SuperCharged 5325cc V8 Cobra Replica (Full sequential Fuel and Ignition MS3 management)

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

daxtojeiro wrote:Hi there,
I have the 500 engine in the cobra now and did concider blowing it like I did the 3.5, but its simply not strong enough. The plan now is to fit one of Rbos 5.5L engines and then blow that if I get bored.
Phil
Come on phil - stop messing around and just drop an LS1 in there.. 8-)
...And when you get bored of that, you can stuff 10Lbs into that to make it interesting..
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

georgiex

Supercharger.....

Post by georgiex »

hi, thanks for the advice....I do remember reading somewhere about the fragility of the 5 litre under race conditions. What appears to be the problem? and if I were to supercharge it (I promise no more than 9psi) would it all end in tears?
standard tvr 500 griffith but its just not fast enough..... any ideas?

HairbearTE
Guru
Guru

Post by HairbearTE »

The problem is the rotating assembley isnt really up to massive gobs of power in its stock form and the valvetrain would need some beefing up too if your gonna rev it.

Paul B
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Re: vortech supercharing a griffith 500

Post by Paul B »

georgiex wrote:having recently caught the ebay bug n never having gown out of "performance enhancing" my cars, i am now the proud owner of a v1 vortech supercharger in t-trim.... this followed a lengthy conversation with gav about his eaton 112 n he was the one who directed me here.....

so any ideas on a preferred route for reliability vs power output as i was hoping for 450 to 500bhp.....
1, Swap Rover motor for all alloy Chevy lump.

2, Fit mild cam and a few other cheap and commonly available tuning parts of known and well proven quantity.

3, Drive for tens of thousands of fast and furious miles with nary a problem from the motor. :roll:

ihatesissycars
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ihatesissycars »

If you have the money to blow the motor and build another bottom end like we talked about then you've got the money to put an ls1 in it which is better in everyway. Ls1 gets my vote.

Lewis
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Lewis »

Nah, go for an LS7 :lol: :twisted:

ihatesissycars
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ihatesissycars »

Thats what i meant! or any of the ls's really, ls2's are reasonable from what i've seen and respond REALLY well to a simple cam change!

daxtojeiro
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by daxtojeiro »

hmmm, whats all this talk about an LS1 then?? What gearbox would it need and how much are they? Thats without all the mods needed to get it to fit, I know its not too hard but its hasstle.

A 5.5L bottom end is around 3.5K, not 100% certain of the final price but its around that. My bottom end is worth 1.5K, so 2K and I have a 5.5L 370BHP 420 torqy things and I can use the current gearbox (as long as it holds out). Then I pop a blower onto it, simple really :), for say another 1K,
so why go for an LS1???
Phil :twisted:

http://www.extraefi.co.uk/cobra/accobra.htm SuperCharged 5325cc V8 Cobra Replica (Full sequential Fuel and Ignition MS3 management)

ihatesissycars
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ihatesissycars »

Because you could have 1500hp.

daxtojeiro
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by daxtojeiro »

Ohh, sorry, forgot to answer the question :) :)
the 5.0L TVR bottom end is a little too weak to blow, Im not going to say too much as I want to sell mine, but they certainly arent a strong crank. Mine is good though :) :)

Phil

Return to “Forced Induction”