Any gains to be had with inlet mods?

General Chat And Help Regarding Turbocharging and Supercharging.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Discopotatoes

Any gains to be had with inlet mods?

Post by Discopotatoes »

On my twin turbo RV8 I have 71mm plenum butterfly, 45mm short trumpets and V8 developments stage 3 heads,
What would the pros and cons to a blended trumpet base be if any?
Cheers
Disco

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

You won't notice much difference if at all really. I had a custom blended trumpet base on my twin turbo, never had it running tho, but I got it more because I could rather than because I needed it lol.
RIP MGB V8 .... served me well as a learning curve.

R32 Skyline V8 .... this one is gonna be a monster!

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by r2d2hp »

Anyone used the Thor Manifold on a supercharged setup as thinking of changing to a later 4.6 enging for my next build

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

r2d2hp wrote:Anyone used the Thor Manifold on a supercharged setup as thinking of changing to a later 4.6 enging for my next build
Jonathan Douglas(JE Engineering) talking about the thor - taken from my manifold archive page:

'the throttle body has a 68 mm throttle as standard and again, we often take this out, in this case to 71.5 mm. The Thor manifold, when used with either a standard cam or a mildly tuned cam, gives a strong torque peak at around 2,000 rpm, much higher than that achievable with the Lucas plenum design, but even with careful gas-flow work the power is limited. We find it difficult to achieve more than around 280 bhp with this manifold, where a similar amount of effort on a Lucas Plenum manifold will yield 320 bhp (but with less torque below 3,500 rpm'
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Re: Any gains to be had with inlet mods?

Post by Eliot »

Discopotatoes wrote:On my twin turbo RV8 I have 71mm plenum butterfly, 45mm short trumpets and V8 developments stage 3 heads,
What would the pros and cons to a blended trumpet base be if any?
Cheers
Disco
I would say you have a good combination and to leave it alone!
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

r2d2hp wrote:Anyone used the Thor Manifold on a supercharged setup as thinking of changing to a later 4.6 enging for my next build

Reg!
I've been trying to ring you. Has your number changed?

Pel

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by r2d2hp »

Hi Eliot,

I guess that’s a normally aspirated setup. Do you know anyone who has tested it with a Supercharger to see how it performs?

Am using the standard Thor Throttle Body on my Lucas Plenum with the SC at the moment and all seems ok. Do you think I would benefit from having it enlarged.

Pel, was good to catch up

regards
Reg

Discopotatoes

Post by Discopotatoes »

chodjinn wrote:You won't notice much difference if at all really. I had a custom blended trumpet base on my twin turbo, never had it running tho, but I got it more because I could rather than because I needed it lol.
Unfortunately I have a thing for shiny stuff and I don't always buy through necessity but cos it looks good,
May be ill give this one a miss

Return to “Forced Induction”