Jag and Beemer V8

General Chat And Help Regarding Turbocharging and Supercharging.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

engmpoll

Post by engmpoll »

should also add it would be handy if I could get a few dogs in the car then it will be practical too and the earache from the other half won't be so severe!!

Lewis
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Lewis »

Triumph 2000/2500?

Can get 'em in estate form as well, cheap as chips if you know where to look too.

Reliable, rorty, fairly modern to drive. Nice warbling 2.0 or 2.5 straight sixes, either carb'd or fuel injected.

If you get bored....Stag V8 goes in them without too much hassle for up to 180BHP and about 210ft.lb....Glorious noise as well.

Rover V8 goes in without too much effort as well.

engmpoll

Post by engmpoll »

I was thinking of something a little newer to put the Lexus v8 in, not sure circa 600bhp would go well with the triumph!!?? Maybe i'm wrong? I did at one point think Range Rover Classic but I think I would struggle to find a transfer box for the 4x4 to take that kind of abuse! The trouble with lots of new cars is they are FWD so a RWD conversion would be necessary, has anyone any experience of this??

Lewis
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Lewis »

Ach, no, the Triumph won't take 600BHP standard, with a BMW rear IRS kit it will but that's a fair chunk of cash.

If I think of something I'll shout - Things on my mind include BMW 325i's, Volvo 760s ( :twisted: )...........

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

Do a rwd focus! There are a few of them about but far from common and kits are available from the states if you don't want to do it the hard way. Not sure a lexus engine would fit in there mind you as they are wide as. As modern chassis go they are very stiff.

Alley Kat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Alley Kat »

A hearse. Plenty of rooms for dogs & shopping, plus could earn extra £s at the weekend :D

engmpoll

Post by engmpoll »

I don't think the hearse would be a go-er, for one my ears would be chewed off and do people really want to take there final journey mostly sideways??!! :wink: With regards to RWD on the focus, I'm curious if there ever gets to a point where to much power and too small a car become a problem, in terms of actually driving it in a straight line?

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

There are a few of them in the states with big power Chevy engines, one of them a supercharger ls1 putting out 800bhp. Not that I have looked into this in any form what so ever :shock:

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

hahaha someone mentioned a Stag V8!!! ROTFLMAO!!!!!

Sorry, delerium over :lol:

Seriously tho, who the hell would want two dolomite engines welded together for a motor (well, its a bit more than that). A few stag owners I have met or have known have all binned the Stag V8 for a rover.

Can anyone say overheating?!? :shock:

ihatesissycars
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ihatesissycars »

Mk2 Granada, Sierra, E30 Zim Zimmers, Manta, Westfield :shock: , 944 (or just buy a 928), early pillarless coupe Mercs, Volvo of some description, Capri.

Don't get an Mg though, they smell. . . . .
V8'less but a fountain of dorky knowledge ref v8's!

Lewis
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Lewis »

Seriously tho, who the hell would want two dolomite engines welded together for a motor (well, its a bit more than that). A few stag owners I have met or have known have all binned the Stag V8 for a rover.

Can anyone say overheating?!?
Oi! Don't make me go all medieval on you :D

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

Lewis wrote: Oi! Don't make me go all medieval on you :D
PMSL he does have a point though.

Lewis
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Lewis »

I suppose - but only when the lump's uncared for - Know a lot of people still on the original lump and clocking over 100,000 miles....and some who abuse the **** out of them with nothing but good words to say :lol:

A good, well built standard lump will rev happily to 7000RPM and make 145BHP with ease (as standard), stick a Holley & some manifolds on it and you've got a reliable 180BHP. Shame they designed a fairly capable engine then whittled it all down to a cost so you've got narrow crank mains and irritating things like that. Some really stupid bits of design in them though....Ah well, can't have it all :!:

Seen one that makes 210BHP....on twin Strombergs! There's a race lump with forged pistons as well that did several seasons without problems, made 280BHP. Couple of twin-turbos out there too but never seen outputs of them and they haven't gone bang either...Rumour has it this one in NZ puts out 300BHP :shock:

Just a lot of 2nd hand bad slagging for these motors - most of which was true, 10 years ago but these days if it goes, it's down to the owner or owning one built on a Monday or a Friday :lol: - or the classic "aah, yea, headgaskets go ALL the time"...."Well, only because you a) neglected the coolant and didn't keep it up and b) didn't maintain it properly."

Got one in the shed, just the car it's destined for isn't ready yet! :cry:

engmpoll

Post by engmpoll »

ihatesissycars good call on the merc coupe, the 360, 500 & 560 all look appealling if not a little 80's pimp!! :wink: anyone know much about the merc v8 to be found lurking in these tanks? are they a tuneable lump or are they best for lining wheelie bins with?

Alley Kat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Alley Kat »

Merc is big & heavy, but unstressed, some parts can be hugely expensive. On the other hand the cars can cost peanuts; I turned down one (500 V8) for £170.
Last edited by Alley Kat on Tue May 15, 2007 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Forced Induction”