draw through wastegate dump pipe

General Chat And Help Regarding Turbocharging and Supercharging.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

mcmental
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

draw through wastegate dump pipe

Post by mcmental »

Does the dump pipe on the wastegate have to discharge into the exhaust or is to atmosphere ok? Mixed answers in my books that's all.

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Re: draw through wastegate dump pipe

Post by DEVONMAN »

mcmental wrote:Does the dump pipe on the wastegate have to discharge into the exhaust or is to atmosphere ok? Mixed answers in my books that's all.
I think you are confusing a dump valve with a wastegate.

The waste gate is usually on the exhaust side of the system and dumps excessive exhaust pressure into the exhaust downpipe/system. If you dump this to the atmosphere then it would be megga loud and would need to be route to the rear like any exhaust system..

A dump valve or blowoff valve is usually on the inlet side of the system and dumps excessive inlet charge pressure either to the atmosphere or back into the inlet before the compressor.

Either can be used to control the maximum boost.

Regards
Denis
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

mcmental wrote:I've got a janspeed setup but the original wastegates were nackered so I've got some aftermarket ones and just need to know if I should plumb the discharge pipe into exhaust. On my bike setup it just wastes to atmosphere.

That setup of yours looks tasty!!

It really depends on where it will be used.
For road use open to the atmosphere would be too loud unless you silence it.
It's usual to plumb into the exhaust system.

Regards Denis
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

mcmental
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by mcmental »

I've got a janspeed setup but the original wastegates were nackered so I've got some aftermarket ones and just need to know if I should plumb the discharge pipe into exhaust. On my bike setup it just wastes to atmosphere.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

mcmental wrote:I've got a janspeed setup but the original wastegates were nackered so I've got some aftermarket ones and just need to know if I should plumb the discharge pipe into exhaust. On my bike setup it just wastes to atmosphere.

It is largely personal preference.

Legally, it's a grey area. Any exhaust should exit at the rear of the vehicle, or at least away from the passenger compartment, so a w/g dump would fall foul of that and it would also have no silencers.
Actual loudness....debatable. Ive driven and tuned cars with an open dump. They werent actually that bad....but I'd always prefer one that is routed back onto the exhaust.

Other than laziness I cant see any valid reason not to route them back into the main exhaust unless it is an out and out race car.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

google screemer pipes - they can sound like shite IMO.
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

mcmental
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by mcmental »

cheers folks as its on my t bucket i shall plumb it back into exhaust coz it could well be loud on my delicate little ears :twisted:

Return to “Forced Induction”