efi fuel pump

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

toughy V8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

efi fuel pump

Post by toughy V8 »

what pressure fuel pump do i need to run flapper efi, ive fitted an inline 3 bar bosch pump from a nova sri but it still wont start

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

when you turn the ignition on and off does the pump buzz?? also when you turn ignition off (turn pump off) is there pressure in the fuel line still?
have you got the pump on the pressure line and not return? pipe that comes from the fuel rail via the pressure reg is the return just in case you were not sure.
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

toughy V8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by toughy V8 »

the pump is working off the ecu, but shouldnt it stop once its up to pressure, then start again when you crank it over?

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

no with the ignition in the on position it will run for a few seconds then stop,
BUT when the engine is running it will run constant and any excess fuel is returned to the tank via the fuel reg and return fuel line
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

toughy V8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by toughy V8 »

when the ignition is on my pump is constantly running. does the flapper have this feature

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

it should stop,
the flapper in the air flow meter aint stuck open a bit has it?
Regards Tony C (COOPS)

ramon alban
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Re: efi fuel pump

Post by ramon alban »

toughy V8 wrote:what pressure fuel pump do i need to run flapper efi, ive fitted an inline 3 bar bosch pump from a nova sri but it still wont start
Toughy, The fuel pump in the feed line to the system only runs continuously when "cranking" or "engine running", and has to maintain a pressure of 36 psi minimum, generally it should be capable of going to 50 psi.

The pressure in the fuel rail will be in the range 26 to 36 psi depending upon the action of the fuel pressure regulator and how it reacts to manifold vacuum. The excess fuel is recirculated to the tank.

The reasons it wont start are probably due to wiring errors rather than component failure, and given the nature of your recent problems as posted on the forum, you probably need to check all the wiring of your Efi system according to the circuits previously mentioned but still available here:

http://www.vintagemodelairplane.com/pag ... uit01.html

The main components enabling the fuel pump to run are, ECU, Air flow meter internal FP switch, steering module (diodes), fuel pump relay and ignition switch, inline fuse and fuel pump itself.

Failure in any one of those may kill the pump.

In desperation you could bypass all these components and run a fused 12 volt feed to the pump and if it runs, try to start the engine. At least you will get to see an engine running result. The circuit diagram will help you follow my suggestions.

I am aware that you are not dealing with an SD1 sytem therfor my circuits will be of limited assistance, but the basics between RR and SD1 are pretty much the same.

hearbear

Post by hearbear »

Might be stupid but is the pump in the right way and not trying to pump to tank :?:

George

Under Consrtuction

toughy V8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by toughy V8 »

the pump is constantly running when wired to the ecu, i have a spark now, im getting 0.27-0.30v at the injectors,does that sound right?

hearbear

Post by hearbear »

Looking at the wiring diagram posted you need to see if you have a feed on pin 20 on ecu this should be live for 2 secs when ignition turned on then drops of. if this happens the fuel relay may be stuck closed causing a feed all the time pull the relay and see if pump cuts out , if still running a short in fuel pump wiring. If it cuts out check the wire connections to the relay terminals 85 and 86 should both be dead one will only come live when ign turned on for the 2 secs.

Hope this helps George

Under Consrtuction

toughy V8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by toughy V8 »

it seems now that i have positive power to both terminals on the injectors but when i crank they both stay positive, ive tried another ecu to no avail

ramon alban
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by ramon alban »

toughy V8 wrote:it seems now that i have positive power to both terminals on the injectors but when i crank they both stay positive, ive tried another ecu to no avail
The ECU side of the injectors are only grounded for approx 10 milliseconds every other cycle so you will always see a positive voltage at both sides of the injectors with a regular voltmeter.

To observe what is happening one would need an oscilloscope on the injectors. Not normally within the ability of most of us.

GreenV8S
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by GreenV8S »

ramon alban wrote:To observe what is happening one would need an oscilloscope on the injectors. Not normally within the ability of most of us.
If you put a 12v LED in parallel with the injector, it responds quickly enough to be visible when the injector fires. At cranking speeds you can see the individual pulses, and when the engine is running you can still get a good indication of the injector duty cycle by the brightness.
Peter Humphries (and a green V8S)

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”