Sticky float in my SU HIF6 carb

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

russ spake

Sticky float in my SU HIF6 carb

Post by russ spake »

Hi, had the chance to drive my Mk1 Stag with the roof down yesterday, but something unexpected happened to one of the carbs.

The engine ran perfectly until I stopped at a pub for an hour and when I started it back up when it ran poorly, miss fired and was losing petrol at a great rate of knots out of what looks like an overflow tube from the float chamber. Anyway I managed to get the carb off, fiddle about a bit and everything seemed fine until this morning, same thing happened with a bit of back firing for good measure. Would I be right in thinking it's something to do with a sticky float, worn/sticky needle jet and can I buy a service kit for each carb to rectify? Thanks,

Lewis
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Lewis »

I'd recommend, as you say, having a poke about the float chamber. Needle could be jammed open by a bit of gunk or similar.

Could also be one of your floats has given up the ghost - what happens is it fills with petrol, so it doesn't float thereby allowing fuel to force its way into the carb causing poor running (also pouring out of the overflow)

I'd service the float chamber components and the problem will probably go away :lol: (And yes, you can get them - somewhere like Carb Exchange http://www.carbex.demon.co.uk/ will be able to sort you with the bits, great little place).

russ spake

Post by russ spake »

Thanks very much, I'll give it a go.

mikeinatruck
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by mikeinatruck »

Try Burlen as well they have a very good spares catalogue.
www.burlen.co.uk

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”