couple of questions about fuel pressure TB's IAC and more

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

dedoo

couple of questions about fuel pressure TB's IAC and more

Post by dedoo »

Hey guys,

I'm building a rover engine for my kitcar project and bought a act carbon plenum to fit my 45mm inlet. I'm going to use a DTA pro8 ECU. have Merlin heads and I'm using a piper 285i cam. and have a JE dry sump set up

I was browsing ebay just a few minutes ago for a fitting TB and found these:
link 1
and
link 2
good or totally wrong choice?

second question:
should I use the IAC stepper or forget about it.

Third question:
About the fuel rail I'm using a Bosch 044 fuel pump should I fit, and I was thinking about SARD, a fuel pressure regulator or use what is on the normal fuelrail now. And if I'm going to use the sard one how should I go about adjusting the fuel rail?

As you can see from my questions I'm a novice in engine building and would really love your help to let me make the right choices.

Thanks for your help !

Danny
Last edited by dedoo on Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
Either throttle body looks OK, you will need a throttle pot' but they seem to have fittings for one they should flow about 25% more than standard though the standard one is not a big restriction.
IAC is a personal choice thing, should give you a more stable idle but it will need setting up.
I would think with the heads and cam you will need bigger injectors, on that basis you should be thinking of uprating the fuel delivery system not just the pump, fit bigger bore fuel rails, a higher flow regulator and bigger bore fuel lines and a bigger filter from the tank and for the return.
I woild consider running the cam with rhoads lifters, at least on the exhaust side otherwise you may have trouble getting the engine through emmisions, it seems to be a problem when people run more than about 220 degrees lift at .05" and although I cant find full timing information on this cam I think it will be giving about 228 degrees at .05" lift.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

dedoo

Post by dedoo »

Yeah, injectors I was thinking about as well although some others here suggested to stick with the lucas green ones as they should be able to coop with the 320/ 330bhp I'm guessing the engine will produce eventually.

Just up the pressure a bit was the idea. That's why I wanted to add another fuel regulator but removing the old regulator leaves me with a connection on my fuel rail I can not do much with. Would you suggest hard soldering some sort of pipe to it with a AN6 connector so I can attach a fuel line?

I'm clueless about the options here ...

The cam btw gives a .44 lift hydraulic lifters were suggested to me. They actually came with the kit. RPI told me emissions would not be an issue. Do you think it will?

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
re cam, have a read of kokopolo's thread (below this one) on his 5.2 with a mechanical cam with 238 degrees of timing at .05 lift, his cam's total timing is about 300-305 degrees (I think), ok it is quite a bit more timing than yours but it is worth comparing it to the cam card you should have been supplied with the cam (posting up the numbers would help). You may well be OK with the better combustion design you will have with the merlin heads, just I would be more certain before you run in the cam and lifters and find you have an issue.
Someone on here is probably already running this cam and will be able to tell you more definatly than me.
Be carefull of RPI they tend to base their technical advise on getting the sale rather than reality, I and many others have been bitten by this in the past.
You will not get a 75% increase in fueling from your injectors just by upping the fuel pressure ( I am guessing this is a 4.6 engine??) and that is what you are looking at to feed a 330 bhp lump and your whole fuel system will have to be able to match the increase in flow or it will go lean at the top.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Re: couple of questions about fuel pressure TB's IAC and mor

Post by stevieturbo »

dedoo wrote:Hey guys,

I'm building a rover engine for my kitcar project and bought a act carbon plenum to fit my 45mm inlet. I'm going to use a DTA pro8 ECU. have Merlin heads and I'm using a piper 285i cam. and have a JE dry sump set up

I was browsing ebay just a few minutes ago for a fitting TB and found these:
link 1
and
link 2
good or totally wrong choice?

second question:
should I use the IAC stepper or forget about it.

Third question:
About the fuel rail I'm using a Bosch 044 fuel pump should I fit, and I was thinking about SARD, a fuel pressure regulator or use what is on the normal fuelrail now. And if I'm going to use the sard one how should I go about adjusting the fuel rail?

As you can see from my questions I'm a novice in engine building and would really love your help to let me make the right choices.

Thanks for your help !

Danny
Either TB will be fine, but as mentioned, dont forget the TPS. Might be easier to source a TB with one complete.

DTA cant control stepper motors if that is the type of IAC you wish to use. It can only control simple solenoids. It isnt always essential though.

044 will be overkill. A 909 or similar will be cheaper and more than up to a n/a RV8 of almost any tune.
I wouldnt use a SARD regulator ever. I personally think they are poop, and have removed loads of faulty ones from cars.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the factory FPR, plus it fits and its free.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

dedoo

Post by dedoo »

I noticed this picture on a website from adamnreeves a member from here also building a kitcar with rover engine.

Can someone tell me what he (or maybe Adam himself :) used to replace the fuel pressure regulator with, what it is called and where I can buy it?

Thanks!
Danny

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

That is simply an adaptor to allow the fitment of a remote FPR.

The standard FPR is perfectly fine though.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by adamnreeves »

Danny,

I got the adaptor from RPi along with the FSE power boost valve and fuel pressure gauge. As noted here, I haven't actually had to increase the fuel pressure. I installed the valve just in case I needed to increase the pressure. I was told the response rate of this valve is better than standard though. As I built this engine up from a short engine I need to buy a regulator anyway. I am running a 4.6V8 making 281BHP and 405Nm of torque. Good luck with your build.

dedoo

Post by dedoo »

Nice. Thanks both!

I'm going to stick with the std FPR then.

Nice website by the way Adam! I have been reading it for most of the evening.
I even felt excited when I watched the video of your first start!!

adamnreeves
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by adamnreeves »

Thanks for the feedback Danny. Glad you're enjoying it. Starting the engine for the first time was a really mixed feeling until it fired up then it was just joy. :D
dedoo wrote:Nice. Thanks both!

I'm going to stick with the std FPR then.

Nice website by the way Adam! I have been reading it for most of the evening.
I even felt excited when I watched the video of your first start!!

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

adamnreeves wrote:Danny,

I got the adaptor from RPi along with the FSE power boost valve and fuel pressure gauge. As noted here, I haven't actually had to increase the fuel pressure. I installed the valve just in case I needed to increase the pressure. I was told the response rate of this valve is better than standard though. As I built this engine up from a short engine I need to buy a regulator anyway. I am running a 4.6V8 making 281BHP and 405Nm of torque. Good luck with your build.
A rising rate (power boost) FPR will just confuse things with an aftermarket ECU, IMHO. You can buy decent non rising rate ones for about the same price - sold for forced induction systems.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

With an aftermarket ecu you will be mapping the engine regardless.

So either factory, aftermarket or rising rate makes little odds.

But choose before you start mapping. But the factory one makes the most sense. It fits, and its free.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

stevieturbo wrote:With an aftermarket ecu you will be mapping the engine regardless.

So either factory, aftermarket or rising rate makes little odds.

But choose before you start mapping. But the factory one makes the most sense. It fits, and its free.
You will be mapping it - but why given yourself the extra work of one thing fighting another? The defaults almost certainly won't be set up for this - although I don't know the ECU mentioned.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

defaults for what ?

The ecu doesnt really care what fuel pressure does, as long as it is consistent.

You'll be mapping under real time driving conditions, so there shouldnt be any problems.

It's no more or less work than any other FPR.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

dedoo

Post by dedoo »

I will leave the std fpr and just upgrade the injectors. The fuel rail will be able to coop with the "extra" fuel?

Problem is that I need to pass the emission tests. What I don't understand yet is when my engine will be producing lets say:

310 = 24.2lb/h
320 = 25lb/h
330 = 25.7lb/h

how will it compensate the pressure needed so I won't push in too much or less fuel? Or will the engine be mapped for the amount of fuel it delivers? As you can see I will most likely won't be mapping my DTA ECU myself :)

Anyway. This will be the range I guess the engine will end up doing. I know this is a fairly broad range but I haven't seen numbers with the engine specs I'm using yet. I guess the dry sump will add a slight bhp raise, merlin heads I have only seen a few numbers from etc. etc. So what would you guys suggest me doing?

24 25 or 26 If I have to pick a flow should I go at the high end with 26lb or ... and use the EV6 type injectors or will any type do?

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”