Holley help needed

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

wamphyri

Holley help needed

Post by wamphyri »

Got a little problem with the Holley Carb on my supercharged Rover V8 and was wondering if anyone could advise as I am not really knowledgeable when it comes to carbs.

The unit is a L-4776-3 6000cfm Double Pumper which came with the blower and manifold straight off another vehicle.

While the front 2 barrels (chokes?) are working fine and the rear 2 also seem to perform OK when throttle is opened up. When the engine is idling the carb dribbles fuel into the back 2 barrels and after a while floods the engine and it runs rough then stalls.

I can't see any obvious screw to adjust things so I am thinking it's not a case of something being too far open but more likely to be some sort of seal which has failed & is letting fuel into the rear barrels when they are really only meant to be fuelled when they throttle is open?

If it is what I think, can anyone advise on a company who will refurb the carb for me?

Many thanks

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

you can do it yourself or take the float bowls off and check float heights and make sure the float needles are clean which is probably all it needs. Diagrams will be available on their web site. It doesn't take very long and if you wanted just to be safe you can get a rebuild kit from Real Steel.

Alley Kat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Alley Kat »

Holleys are sensitive to float levels, I'd have a go at that first.
Also could be crap in the chambers, but could just be the classic float level thing.

Rebuild kits are about £25, and include float needles & lots of other bits. It's not hard to do, and might be worth it if setting the level doesn't fix it, plus gives you a chance to give it a good ol' clean out.

wamphyri

Post by wamphyri »

That's great thanks, I will trot off the the Holley website and get some photos to use as a guide. I saw the refurb kit in the RS catalogue for £20 odd so will put aside some time and patience & give it a stab myself. :)

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”