Cam timing curiosity

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

stirlsilver

Cam timing curiosity

Post by stirlsilver »

Hi guys,
Just been wondering about something, I was told that on some engines people have shifted their cam timing out by one tooth on stock engines to get some quite suprising results.

Has anyone tried this with a stock cam on the RV8? and just advancing or retarding it by a tooth? Not that i'm considering it but just out of curiosity.

Stirling

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

can be done and you will gain in either the top end or the bottom end. Down side is you loose big time at the oposit end. Best idea is to change the cam.

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

When I fitted my Typhoon cam and cloyes chain gear etc. I noticed that you have the option to if the bottom cog at normal or plus / minus 4 degree's for the cam timing.
I have been told that it would be better to fit the next one advanced as this will give better results with nitrous.
I just wonder how this would affect the normal road drive if the car were set up for more power on nitrous for track day fun.
Any advice chaps?

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

I worked out how many degrees a tooth on the crank sprocket or a tooth on the cam sprocket was worth. The figure escapes me at the moment but it was WAY too much to be any use.

I have a typhoon cam fitted and found that it was not possible to get the cam timing spot on with the standard timing chain and gears...I ended up using a vernier set (Possibly piper, but not too sure!)

Regards,

Pete

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”