Merlin Heads

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

mgbloke
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbloke »

I have now removed the merlin heads and with a dremell and small burr removed the chemical metal that I tried in desperation to solve the leaks with.
With the waterways sealed I put about 30psi in and dipped the heads into water. They both leak in the same area. On one there is no visible sign of a flaw! bubbles seem to exit from nowhere but the Other one I can see a faint dark line about 2mm long where bubbles are coming from.

I am delivering them back to Real Steel today in the hope that they can be fixed permanently by more laser welding.

Fingers crossed.

I plan to re fit the Merlins for a few months while I test and set up my coil over 4 link mumford suspension. Then I will swap over to the TA heads with the new 5.0L short engine.

mark

JP.
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by JP. »

I have inspected my heads on this matter and I have no real signs that I have this issue..... for as far I can see it, with the heads still in situ.

My heads are from the very first batch they made.
'73 Ford Capri. 3.5 RV8, Magnacharger 110 Supercharger, Merlin F85 Heads, Water/Methanol Injected
'73 Ford F250, 6.7ltr V8
Building a GT40 mk2

mgbloke
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbloke »

Spoke to Charles at real Steel when I delivered the heads today and he said that it was only 3 pairs of heads that have had this problem. he said that the casting has been slightly modified on the later heads to prevent further problems.
Full credit to Real Steel though as they said that they will cover the cost of the laser welding.

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

mgbloke wrote:Spoke to Charles at real Steel when I delivered the heads today and he said that it was only 3 pairs of heads that have had this problem. he said that the casting has been slightly modified on the later heads to prevent further problems.
Full credit to Real Steel though as they said that they will cover the cost of the laser welding.
Ha Ha!!
That's so good of them eh ? To cover the cost of repairing their own faulty goods :lol:

I have used RS for many years and the service is pretty darn good. But when I paid £1300 for a new gearbox that broke in just 50 miles of road use I got some bullshit answer that race parts have no warranty ?
I took this up with Charles directly and although it took 3 months to resolve the issue in which time I had to buy another £1300 box I ended up with a spare when the broken box was returned rebuilt FOC.

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

little tub

Post by little tub »

mgbv8 wrote:
mgbloke wrote:Spoke to Charles at real Steel when I delivered the heads today and he said that it was only 3 pairs of heads that have had this problem. he said that the casting has been slightly modified on the later heads to prevent further problems.
Ha Ha!!
That's so good of them eh ? To cover the cost of repairing their own faulty goods :lol:

I have used RS for many years and the service is pretty darn good. But when I paid £1300 for a new gearbox that broke in just 50 miles of road use I got some bullshit answer that race parts have no warranty ?
I took this up with Charles directly and although it took 3 months to resolve the issue in which time I had to buy another £1300 box I ended up with a spare when the broken box was returned rebuilt FOC.

At least they repaired it, I had an new engine and box fitted by A V8 tuning company, when I got the car off them, it had a gear selection problem and an oil leak. I sent the car back, they had it for 4 months and when I got it back, It still leaked and still had a gear selection problem. All they done was wipe oil off the block.
Great service.

Blown v8
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Blown v8 »

Name and shame !

bigaldart
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by bigaldart »

mgbloke,

Just donate them to us, we don't run water anyway :D

Soon see what the clocks have to say about their effectiveness!

Alan

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

bigaldart wrote:mgbloke,

Alan

Good point Alan :wink:

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

Blown v8
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Blown v8 »

bigaldart wrote:mgbloke,

Alan
That would be the ultimate test !

mgbloke
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbloke »

Alan
If they turn out to be un repairable you can have them!

bigaldart
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by bigaldart »

Like all racers, all offers are gratefully received, I hope the repair works, but if not will be very happy to see what they can do!! :D :D :D

little tub

Post by little tub »

Blown v8 wrote:Name and shame !
Who else ?

RPI

mgbloke
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbloke »

Got the repaired heads back this week. Free of charge.
Very happy with the service from real Steel.

bigaldart
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by bigaldart »

Great stuff, back to pushing the boundaries now, I hope they stay fixed this time.

Alan

mgbloke
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbloke »

No more leaks, TA heads and new engine ready so Merlins are on ebay.

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”