Merlin Heads

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

minorv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by minorv8 »

Seriously thinking about ordering some TA heads but again there is very little information and I cant find anyone that it using them.
I know a couple of guys in USA who have bought TA heads but it seems that they are just as easily available as RS heads :D

Not to mention about the lack of communication from TA. But I thick John Eales (?) has done some testing but has not been convinced. Just why does that sound familiar ?

mgbloke
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbloke »

I have been doing some research into porous castings and have found a company that can impregnate the heads and permanently fix the problem.
The heads are subjected to an extreme vacuum and immersed in the liquid then cured with heat.
http://www.ultraseal-slough.co.uk/impre ... -products/

The leak is very small, not enough to affect the oil colour. I guess it evaporates before it builds up.
Anyone had experience with this process?

Mark

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Yes
looks OK in principle, but it would mean going to Slough! :? :wink: :cry:
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

mgbloke
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbloke »

Don't think I have ever been to Slough!

As a matter of interest, what would these heads be worth together with tall rocker covers, roller rockers, custom smith Bros pushrods and custom Head stud kit?
Assuming I sorted the leak.

making 368bhp no porting as such just removed the odd corner and fin on port floor then port patched with my inlet manifolds. So still potential!

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

Not quite enough to buy an LS3...
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

minorv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by minorv8 »

Ebay 251385928195 and 251385930921 for reference :-)

mgbloke
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbloke »

Wow! that's quite expensive! well spotted Jukka.

I have ordered some TA / TRS heads so will probably be selling the merlins on. Hopefully I can arrange back to back flow tests for both merlins and TA.

The back firing problem turned out to be the crank sensor gap being too small. So nothing to do with valve clearances after all.

Would love to slot in an LS3 engine but it would be sooooo much work.

minorv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by minorv8 »

What is your TA head spec, bare or assembled ? When did you order them and when do you hope to get them ? I have contacted TA several times but they are very lazy to reply.

mgbloke
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbloke »

Hi Jukka,
I am having the assembled heads. Expecting delivery next week.
TA were a waste of time, couldn't get any information from them.
I am getting mine from Triumph Rover spares in Australia. They were very helpful and informative. Am also having the shaft mounted roller rockers and a custom head stud kit. All quite expensive though, hope its worth it.

DaviesDJ
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by DaviesDJ »

If you don't mind me asking what is th ball park price for a set of those. I chatted to the new owner of wildcat and he is getting a series of heads cast at the moment - and he quoted approx 2100 for a fully set inc rollers. Although they won't be ready for a little while. Ian Richardson charged about the same for the basic wildcat heads. How do these compare in terms of flow and cost? (I know this has probarbly been asked before).
Spent so much on trial and error!

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
looks like the new owner is going for a different market, for aftermarket rover heads of any kind that is a good price if it includes the rockers. They out flow anything else (well apart from John Eales stage three rover castings of course, but he can never get these merlin/ TA/ tomcat/ buick300 heads to work as well as a ported blah blah blah. . . . :twisted: ).
I can only think this is a good thing if the price is real, it may be late in the day but it could see a second wind for the rover tuning market.
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

kokkolanpoika
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by kokkolanpoika »

5.0 WILD CAT ENGINE 398 BHP @ 5950 RPM, 340FTLB @ 5600 RPM

The Rover cylinder head design is ultimately the limiting factor when it comes to power on the V8 engine. If you need over 350 BHP you need the Wildcat!

Includes the latest style 47mm crossover throttle bodies for even better flow, CNC ported heads, 96mm big bore top hat liner block, roller rockers, solid cam, camshaft and 10.7:1 CR

Outright Sale £11050.00

http://www.automotivecomp.com/v8engines.htm

Not so impressive to spend +2100£ + vat only for heads.. It will run M248 cam witch is quite race.. If V8developments and Eales and many many others give similar readings same size engine with their stage xxx Rover heads.. Why to use such big valves like wild cat? Like i always say. Post your wild cat engine dyno curve here.

I can make a bet that TA/TRS heads will improve power curve max 10%. In mgbloke case, 367hp +10% = 403hp max..
Timo

Blown v8
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Blown v8 »

That advert is misleading,"if you need over 350 bhp you need the Wildcat"
I have 419bhp with SDi heads !
Perhaps it should read,"if you need over 350bhp,you need forced induction"

bigaldart
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by bigaldart »

The rpm for peak horsepower is way low for the head flow and valve sizes. More of a mismatch than anything else. The short motor and cam need to selected for 8,000 rpm plus to make the most of those heads, otherwise there is little point.

Alan

mgbloke
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbloke »

Ive started a new thread for the TRS TA heads.

Mark

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”