General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Wotland
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Eprom socket for 14CUX

Post by Wotland »

Hello,
No idea of the reference of the eprom socket used in some 14CUX ECU, and where I can find it.
I have an Land Rover ECU and it doesn't have the eprom socket like TVR ECU.
Cheers.
Dimitri

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Post a picture - I work in electronics so if it's a standard socket I will be able to identify it.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Wotland
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Wotland »

Hello Chris,
It is the green socket :

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

Does the E prom just plug into the 14CUX board or does it need soldering,

Kevin

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
There is a pin re-map on the back of that CCT board the pins and socket are soldered to. It is a custom job for that Eprom into that CCT application you'll need the original to copy the pin routing.
Mike
poppet valves rule!

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

OK, that's not a standard socket so I'm a bit confused.
That EPROM has the same physical size as the socket, so it would fit directly into the board. But that socket is actually a small PCB itself, so I am guessing it switches some of the connections around.......... meaning that the EPROM isn't the same part as the original part.

Chris
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Wotland
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Wotland »

I found this socket on ebay. I think it is the same but not sure : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=018

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by r2d2hp »

As I understand things The performance chips are paired to the special socket that contains decode logic. This prevents the coping of the Optimax and Tornado chips.

Just adding a socket will not solve the problem unless you have received both chip and decode socket.

Wotland
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Wotland »

I don't know if really sockets contain decode logic as they say in their advertising TVR ecu have already the good scoket :

There are two families of Lucas 14CUX ECUs. Before you place your order we need to check which type you have, so please contact us first. All original TVR supplied ECUs have "plug-in" chips, with the appropriate socket fitted. If the ECU is not original (e.g. replaced by a Land Rover standard version to fix a fault) then it may not have a socket, so in this case it will be necessary to have a socket fitted to receive the new chip.

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by r2d2hp »

Are you after a 14CUX fitted with Mark Adams Tornado chip then PM me as mine is for sale complete with larger 20AFM Air Meter.

If your buying a complete kit then it will come as 2 parts as seen in the picture but you will need to check your ecu to see if it is already fitted with a socket.

What looks like a socket in the picture is more than that, if you could see the other side it would become clear.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Wotland wrote:I found this socket on ebay. I think it is the same but not sure : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=018
It wouldn't be the same. This socket on eBay is what I was expecting, and they are dirt cheap.

The socket with the green board has as a minimum some wiring alterations between eprom and the pins. It might also have some circuitry on the bottom that we can't see.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

I have long suspected that the blank chip and carrier were cheap £5.00!!
so a more than healthy profit for Mr Adams, £400.00 for burning a chip once youv'e done the R+D.

Interesting that RPI are undercutting Mark Adams prices but still dear at £350.00 compared with other chip suppliers for other vehicles especially as you can get a complete MS fully built with a base map for £300.00

Kevin.

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

Completely agree with that! Chips are a nice option for some cars but anything Rover there are far better and cheaper options.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I wonder if the special socket is a security mechanism.
Copying the EPROM is trivial, but maybe the contents have been put in such that the external 'special socket' is needed to map the outputs into the ECU.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

Chris,
Well unless TVR use the same chip carrier, the MarkAdams chips would not work, unless they have some sot of crossover network between pins which match the chips.

I believe the chips are coded themselves so as to make them uncopyable and they self destruct.

Kevin.

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”