Blue smoke

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

medwaykent

Blue smoke

Post by medwaykent »

Good evening everyone havnt been on here for quite a few years since having a v8 trike sold it and now have another.. all seemed well when first bought it , took rocker covers off and no oil to the heads bypass valve stuck so easy fix now theres streams off oil( did change rocker arms for another set i had ) then while idling it sounded noisy so new cam And tappets fitted and sounds fantastic next problem is blue smoke on start up and when rev it up !!so off with the heads thinking stem seals have gone with all this oil im now getting to the rockers only to find no stem seals ordered up the 8 rubber washer ones by mistake read on here there usless so ordered 16 neoprene ones thinking that would do the job but dont bloody fit so back to the washer type ones for inlets only ,all back together and still the same !! Did a compression check and all 8 bores reading 150 ... my question is is it possible that theres so much oil at rockers dripping down to cause this or is it more likely to be oil is getting into bores through rings .. i havnt ridden trike on road since blue smoke started appearing is there anything else it could be before i progress down the rebore route which i really dont want to do .. due to very restrcted finaices as now cant work due to illness .. any ideas would be welcome thanks in advance ...

medwaykent

Re: Blue smoke

Post by medwaykent »

Further to previous post i have pipe at rear left hand side on top of rocker cover going into left hand carb and on righr hand side front have flame trap with no bafling wire in it , on top of this theres another hose although alot bigger going into right hand carb no pcv vales are fitted ? If i take this pipe of flame trap and start engine up flame trap is like a chimey with vapour clearly visable all the time should this be happening and would fitting pcv valves be the way foward thanks in advance...

medwaykent

Post by medwaykent »

Yet another query to my previous two posts ive read on here opel manta 2.0 stem seals fit older sd1 heads has anuone fitted them ??? Not really keen on taking off heads if there not going to fit

GDCobra
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by GDCobra »

medwaykent wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:18 pm
Further to previous post i have pipe at rear left hand side on top of rocker cover going into left hand carb and on righr hand side front have flame trap with no bafling wire in it , on top of this theres another hose although alot bigger going into right hand carb no pcv vales are fitted ? If i take this pipe of flame trap and start engine up flame trap is like a chimey with vapour clearly visable all the time should this be happening and would fitting pcv valves be the way foward thanks in advance...
Why don't you, temporarily, run at least the large pipe into a catch tank (water bottle would do), if the smoke goes away then that is the source and you can address that (doesn't seem correct that there is no baffling in the flame trap). If it doesn't solve it then need to look elsewhere.
Process of elimination.

GDCobra
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by GDCobra »

medwaykent wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:55 pm
Yet another query to my previous two posts ive read on here opel manta 2.0 stem seals fit older sd1 heads has anuone fitted them ??? Not really keen on taking off heads if there not going to fit
May be worth investigating renewing the seals without removing heads, I've heard of people doing it by taking the piston to TDC and/or using thin rope to fill the cylinder and stop the valves dropping, not specifically on RV8 though.
If you were going to take the heads off it may be better to get the top of the valve guides modified to fit the later, spring loaded, seal.

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”