RV8 rocker shaft condition

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

marsbar

RV8 rocker shaft condition

Post by marsbar »

I know there is loads of stuff here and on other sites about rocker arms and shafts but could someone just confirm that this shaft is too far gone for me to simply relace the arms please?
Image2022-11-05 15.24.04 by Chris Marsland, on Flickr
Image2022-11-05 15.25.02 by Chris Marsland, on Flickr

Thanks
Chris

Currently building AK Cobra kit car with 3.5 V8 engine (also rebuilding this at the same time!)

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Re: RV8 rocker shaft condition

Post by ChrisJC »

I certainly wouldn't use it.

But, with the hydraulic tappets on the Rover V8, it would probably sound and run just fine!

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

marsbar

Post by marsbar »

Thanks, I’ve read that when you rebuild the rocker shaft you can reposition it so most of the thrust is on the unmarked side of the shaft but I guess the wear would still affect the oil pressure etc. Anyway I’ll bite the bullet and fit new shaft and rocker arms…..
Chris
Currently building AK Cobra kit car with 3.5 V8 engine (also rebuilding this at the same time!)

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

Personally I would get some new rockers and shafts.
Double check your clearances on the new ones though - as my first set were terrible - worse than the worn genuine ones.
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

jp928

Post by jp928 »

Even if you turn the shafts over, and drill new oil holes you will still have bits of steel embedded in the old rockers and they will wear the shaft quickly. Unless you plan on doing LOTS of miles a cheap set of after market rockers and shafts should outlive you, be nice and quiet, and do their job well. Use a quality oil (20-60) and change it regularly. Thats my plan anyway - my shafts looked very much like yours.
jp 74 P6B S

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”