Best Head Gasket Brand

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

andyborris

Best Head Gasket Brand

Post by andyborris »

Hi everyone, new to the forum and the new owner of a Landy 3.5 V8, with a blown head gasket!

Which is the best brand for a composite head gasket set please? :D

Thanks
Andy

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Re: Best Head Gasket Brand

Post by ChrisJC »

I'm not sure how many actual vendors there are. I would get onto somewhere like Rimmer Bros or Island 4x4 and see what brands you fancy. If you've heard of it, it's going to be OK.

Presumably the old gaskets were tin gaskets, so you'll have to skim the heads by about 0.5mm to allow for the extra thickness.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

andyborris

Post by andyborris »

Thanks Chris

I haven't collected the Landy yet, it's a new purchase, so unsure if it's tin or composite!

If I'm really lucky, it's tin and the CR skim will also take care of any warping!

Thanks for the answer, I'm new to RV8's so lots of question will be arriving, either here or on the Forum.

And while I'm thinking of it, I've read that a overheated engine can have a damaged oil pressure relief valve, how easy are these to change? Esp. in a series 3 Landy?

Andy

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

The valves are easy enough to change - you just take the end off the pump, and then it's all on the bench to clean / inspect etc.

But if it's a Series III, then it could have any number of pump end plates on there, from OEM to various aftermarket options.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”