Engine stumbles powering thru corners

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

SlapHeadDiver

Engine stumbles powering thru corners

Post by SlapHeadDiver »

Changing the pump orientation [up/down] sadly didn't fix the stumble, still going rich/lean thru the corners

I'm going to have a look at the carb to see if as I Suspect the opposite side to the fuel feed on the carb can take another banjo connection and in which case add another fuel feed to see if that stops the rich/lean affect when cornering fast and hard on track
Regards
Mark

Mc Tool
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Re: Engine stumbles powering thru corners

Post by Mc Tool »

I would have thought that putting float bowls on the sides of the carb would cause exactly the problem you describe ..
I just had a look at the blurb and they describe the 1404 as "an every day driver with reliable street performance" . Didnt mention track days.......or the high cornering forces involved that one is not likely encounter whilst enjoying reliable street performance in their daily driver :D
I wish I was young again , Id be heaps smarter than the first time

V8MGBV8

Post by V8MGBV8 »

The Edelbrock is a great cruising carb and yields good gas mileage. A performance carb it is not.

I have battled this same issue for years with my Carter 500 (virtually the same carb). The side hung float bowls are not designed to handle high lateral G forces. My next carb will be one with front & rear float bowls with road race floats.

Love this forum. I am a very long time lurker. If I was registered in the past, I cannot find the info. I dropped a Buick 215 in my MGB 21 1/2 years ago.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Nice car that!

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

My Dakar (4x4) would go rich when turning running an edelbrock. Essentially it was down to fuel sloshing around in the bowls and going down the plughole due to how a 4x4 tends to lean over on corners.
I solved the problem by binning the carb and fitting megasquirt :)
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”