Cool air for the 3.5 V8 in a Marcos

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

SpringV8

Cool air for the 3.5 V8 in a Marcos

Post by SpringV8 »

Hi,
I want to show you my - nearly - finished idea about a cool air intake for my Rover 3.5
I bought the car with the engine. Some documents showed, that Rovercraft tuned the engine to 200BHP ( with SU carbs ). Another owner addd a Holley 4bb carb with an Offenhauser inlet. When I got the car, the carb was not working well. When it was hot, it runs very good above idel. But when cold or in transition from idle to power it stumbles or...dont know a word for it, but it was not good. So I added a Edelbrock AVS - perfect driving but not as agressive as the Holley at WOT. I am stil working on the jetting.

But what is a no go is to suck in the hot air under the bonnet.
See my idea to solve this:
[img]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-hmX8RGN3FsQ/V ... 33_01b.JPG[/img]

[img]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-tvX79vg5TkY/V ... 29_07b.JPG[/img]

I created a model, made a negative and this is the first positive of GRP.
It fits over the 14" pancake filter with 3" hight. On the drop bottom lower part a support point of aluminium was added.

See more details in my blog:
[url=http://marcosmantulastory.blogspot.de/]

At the moment I try different jet settings to get the best perfomance. Maybe I am able to measure the pressure at high speed inside the airbox to see if RAMair is not only a legend...

What do you think...?[/code]
Last edited by SpringV8 on Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SpringV8

Posting images is not so easy as descibed in the Quote text.

Post by SpringV8 »

Can someone give me an advice how to post pictures ?

Highlight the link and press the Img button does not work ?

Thanx
Last edited by SpringV8 on Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigaldart
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by bigaldart »

The ran air effect at road speeds is insignificant, you will be lucky to see 1/2 lb and then only over 100 mph. As you say the main benefit is that the carb sees the cooler air outside of the engine bay, this is what makes it worthwhile. Just jet the carb as normal and don't worry about any boost related effects.

Alan

scudderfish
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by scudderfish »

How are you with electronics? I'd be tempted to fiddle with something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MPX5700DP-Dif ... Swv0tVMbQQ Otherwise, a simple U tube manometer will answer your question.

SpringV8

Post by SpringV8 »

Hi scudderfish,
I am a little bit skilled in electronics. I know differental pressure sensors. For exactly such tasks I orderes the iDash fron 14point7 to log an visualize the signal. But that dammed ECU has a bug and I did not get ANY support from the Alan ( see the support forum ).
So, at the moment I only have a 4 channel temerature meter to compare the temps.

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by JSF55 »

If you log afr on a run and then do the same run with your ram air fitted I would imagine there will be noticeable differences in the log ?
So thats where it went !

SpringV8

Post by SpringV8 »

Hi JSF55, I think the RAM air effect will be very, very small compared to the cold air effect.
Bigaldart has posted what I think as well - but a little bit hope is to have a little increase in pressure cause the air inlet is in the best = highest pressure zone and it is like a duct with nearly no bottleneck for the airflow.
The temperature- and - of course - the optical effect is very good !

Bay the way: How can I post pictures here ? Any advise...

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”