4.6 rv8 retaining plate

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

capriandyb1

4.6 rv8 retaining plate

Post by capriandyb1 »

Hi guys iv got a crower 50232 cam ordered for my 4.6 block,im running the 3.9 front cover and dizzy.my question is.can I run the cam without the retaining plate ???
I have read that you can't use the half moon retaining plate that's on the 4.6 as standard with the dizzy gearing and v8 tuners and real steel say the full moon plate is no longer available

Any help would be great

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

If you are running a dizzy driven oil pump then yes you could get away without the retaining plate as it is the load that the oil pump puts on the dizzy that stops the cam moving forward. Having said that I run a plate on my 4.6 even though I have an old style pump. If you are running a crank driven pump then you must use the retainer plate.

capriandyb1

Post by capriandyb1 »

Thanks,are you running full moon or half moon plate??....yeah its the old style pump

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

I'm running a full circle retaining plate. I'm also running vernier timing gear, the bolts that hold the plate in plate foulded the cam sprocket so I carefully ground down the head of each bolt, from memory they ended up pretty thin, maybe 3mm thick! You could counter sink the plate and use counter sink screws with some thread lock.

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

The half moon retainer is used with a non dizzy type camshaft whereas the full moon type is used with a dizzy type camshaft. If you buy an aftermarket camshaft for a dizzy application, it will need to have been machined to allow installation of the retainer plate if you want to fit one.
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

capriandyb1

Post by capriandyb1 »

OK thanks for clearing that up....I'll run it without retaining plate as said real steel and v8tuners no longer do them......they are the main ones I know that did the circle plate

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

I run the full cam plate and Vernier gears and didn't have to grind the bolts down,
took a while to find the correct Vernier gear set to work, and its a kent cams set that clears just for future reference
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

benjai

Post by benjai »

Rimmer Bros still list both full circle
"Cam Retaining Collar" ERR5926
And the part circle type
"Camshaft Thrust Plate" ERR2609

I don't know if they still stock them, but I'd assume so...

FWIW, I'm running the same gear as Sidecarbod, and countersunk the bolts (I also made my own plate, because I'm tight)... If you make your own, be aware that the mounting holes are not on a diameter, they are offset, so the plate only fits one way. It's impossible to fit it the wrong way if you buy one (because the second hole won't line up) but if you machine one and assume the holes are on a diameter, it won't fit (ask me how I know).

Last edited by benjai on Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blown v8
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Blown v8 »

Brand new,
£20 posted

capriandyb1

Post by capriandyb1 »

Blown v8 wrote:Brand new,
£20 posted
Pm sent

BISH V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by BISH V8 »

benjai wrote:Rimmer Bros still list both full circle
"Cam Retaining Collar" ERR5926
And the part circle type
"Camshaft Thrust Plate" ERR2609

I don't know if they still stock them, but I'd assume so...

FWIW, I'm running the same gear as Sidecarbod, and countersunk the bolts (I also made my own plate, because I'm tight)... If you make your own, be aware that the mounting holes are not on a diameter, they are offset, so the plate only fits one way. It's impossible to fit it the wrong way if you buy one (because the second hole won't line up) but if you machine one and assume the holes are on a diameter, it won't fit (ask me how I know).

Can I ask what size are the bolts that fit the cam plate

Current project
1972 mgb v8 4.6 roadster

SimpleSimon
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by SimpleSimon »

Coops wrote:I run the full cam plate and Vernier gears and didn't have to grind the bolts down,
took a while to find the correct Vernier gear set to work, and its a kent cams set that clears just for future reference
Tony the early KC verniers didnt clear the bolts or plate (Its why TVR deleted the TP on some builds inc mine that came fitted with the KC venier in the mid 90's) but the later one's do these are the ones we must both be using now 8-) side by side they are different more beef in the earlier unit 8)
TVR Chimaera RV8 Mods & Megasquirt

benjai

Post by benjai »

BISH V8 wrote: Can I ask what size are the bolts that fit the cam plate
Can't remember for certian, but Rimmers say they are 5/16 UNC x 3/4 (as a hex head without countersinking). I expect in this case, 5/16 UNC x 1/2 CSK would do, but I expect I bought them at 3/4 long and then cut them down for maximum thread engagement...

capriandyb1

Post by capriandyb1 »

Iv bought the one off blown v8,the countersinking look to be a good idea as I'm using duplex gears

jrv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by jrv8 »

Hi Guys,
I have about a dozen of these full circle plates here. If anyone is interested, drop me a message.

Regards
Jim
jrv8.co.uk

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”