Hard cornering fuel starvation on Edelbrock carb

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

RogerD
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Hard cornering fuel starvation on Edelbrock carb

Post by RogerD »

Hi - Ive got a 4.3 V8 with an Edelbrock carb (pic below)

If I attack roundabouts very hard and go all the way round, I get fuel starvation (I know how electical cut feels and this is definitely fuel). It happens far too fast for it to be the fuel pump - which is at the back of the car. It feels like the carb is not able to handle high G.

The same thing also happens if I do a hard U-turn - as I then try and pull away I get spluttering for a second or so as the carb fills back up then off I go.

I though my carb was supposed to be able to deal with this? Any ideas?

Oh - also - if I brake VERY hard, then engine gets very close to stalling.

Some reading is telling my i might need to adjust my float levels but I dont' know one end of my carb from the other!

RogerD
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by RogerD »

Solved it.

I adjusted the float levels from 11/32" to 7/16" - easy job. And it goes round corners like clockwork now.

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

It's not fuel starvation that causes the problem, its the fuel level being too high which allows it to 'spill' into the venturies via the fuel well and the boosters. Your new float height setting is larger than your old setting, this means that the fuel level will be lower. I have made my floats about 2-3mm higher than the 10.5mm standard setting in order to improve cornering performance of the carb.

RogerD
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by RogerD »

Yeah - I've been reading about it since posting. You learn something new every day!

Mine are sitting at 11.11mm now. (7/16")

Cheers

R

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

sidecar wrote:It's not fuel starvation that causes the problem, its the fuel level being too high which allows it to 'spill' into the venturies via the fuel well and the boosters. Your new float height setting is larger than your old setting, this means that the fuel level will be lower. I have made my floats about 2-3mm higher than the 10.5mm standard setting in order to improve cornering performance of the carb.
agreed - I thought i was getting starvation when i had one on my 4x4 going round corners, fitted a lamda sensor and noticed that it went rich whenever i swung round a corner - ergo, fuel sloshing out the float chambers into the inlet.
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”