Edelbrock 1404 - poor running 3.5 V8 Rover

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

Post up your setup if you want my opinion on it! :lol:

Also if you are bored have a read of this old gumph that I wrote ages ago. I now think that some of it is a 'bit' wrong, i.e I no longer think that all the sizes of RV8 can be setup with the same carb settings. (The web is full of un-truths, so mine are a drop in the ocean!)

The info that I wrote will tell you how the carb works if nothing else....

http://how-to-build-a-pilgrim-sumo.wiki ... ing-system

moppit
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by moppit »

me?
My setup is a 3.5 new build from an SD1 block I think , typhoon cam, ported and gas flowed heads, Eddy 500 (1404?), JWR Dual plane manifold, tubular headers, JE front cover/oil pump, Mallory electronic dizzy, Mr Gasket low rider air cleaner (all I can fit in!). Car is an NG TC (circa 750kg) so not much to shove along.... Front and rear hoyle adjustable suspension, discs all round when I need to stop.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=1 ... folder%2c

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

Hi Moppit, no text in your last post?

moppit
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by moppit »

Dunno what I did wrong there - tried to post some links to pics but ended up with a blank post?

My setup is a 3.5 new build from an SD1 block I think , typhoon cam, ported and gas flowed heads, Eddy 500 (1404?), JWR Dual plane manifold, tubular headers, JE front cover/oil pump, Mallory electronic dizzy, Mr Gasket low rider air cleaner (all I can fit in!). Car is an NG TC (circa 750kg) so not much to shove along.... Front and rear hoyle adjustable suspension, discs all round when I need to stop.

will attempt pics in a separate post

moppit
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by moppit »

some pics..

ged
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ged »

Fixed for you :-)
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21A ... E9252DE019

& very nice by the way.

moppit
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by moppit »

Thanks and thanks! So what is the process for pics? :oops:

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

Very nice!

In picture 2 I can see the air filter stud, (I zoomed in on the pic), so what you might say! well it is very short, this means the the air filter lid is very close to the top of the carb. If you look at the primary side of the carb you can see that the choke is housed in a raised section of the carb, I bet you will be lucky if you have 10mm clearance which in my humble is not enough. This will mess up your carburation. The choke is useless on these carbs it will foul the plugs if you use it, if i was you I'd remove it then cut the choke horn off the carb. I've done this on a few carbs and it helps the primary side of the carb to breath better. Just for your info my air filter stud is around 75mm long!

Er, your throttle return spring will put a lot of load on the primary throttle shaft, if you think about what happens when you press the throttle the cable might put 2kg of load on the top of the throttle arm, the spring will counteract this with another 2kg of load, that's 4kg of side load. This causes the carb body to wear out which results is all sorts of carburation issues. If the spring is placed in line with the throttle cable on the top of the throttle arm so that the spring is heading off towards the front of the car the two loads cancel each other out, the result is 0kg side load on the throttle shaft and carb body! :D
Last edited by sidecar on Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

moppit
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by moppit »

sidecar wrote:Very nice!

In picture 2 I can see the air filter stud, (I zoomed in on the pic), so what you might say! well it is very short, this means the the air filter lid is very close to the top of the carb. If you look at the primary side of the carb you can see that the choke is housed in a raised section of the carb, I bet you will be lucky if you have 10mm clearance which in my humble is not enough. This will mess up your carburation. The choke is useless on these carbs it will foul the plugs if you use it, if i was you I'd remove it then cut the choke horn off the carb. I've done this on a few carbs and it helps the primary side of the carb to breath better. Just for your info my air filter stud is around 75mm long!

Er, you throttle return spring will put a lot of load on the primary throttle shaft, if you think about what happens when you press the throttle the cable might put 2kg of load on the top of the throttle arm, the spring will counteract this with another 2kg of load, that's 4kg of side load. This causes the carb body to wear out which results is all sorts of carburation issues. If the spring is placed in line with the throttle cable on the top of the throttle arm so that the spring is heading off towards the front of the car the two loads cancel each other out, the result is 0kg side load on the throttle shaft and carb body! :D
wow! Thanks this is amazing. Appreciate the help.

southernd

Post by southernd »

What a gorgeous car, it looks stunning, lovely job.
MX5 4.6 V8
Previous of many SD1's back in the day!

moppit
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by moppit »

southernd wrote:What a gorgeous car, it looks stunning, lovely job.
Thanks! We need more pictures of everyone's projects on this forum....shame they are links only.

southernd

Post by southernd »

Quick update :)

I decided to buy a new Edelbrock 1404 as was still getting small issues with initial response and intermittent stuttering.

I did the job in around 40 minutes, very very simple, I can't believe how easy it was. It started straight away and runs beautifully. The rods are 67 at the moment which seems a little rich, I'll drop to the 62/52 which seemed to work best.

I'm going to do a post mortem on the old carb this weekend, great way to learn about them and handy to have a spare for when this ones had its day :) I've really enjoyed learning about carbs, they're not the black magic people make them out to be, just time and patience :)
MX5 4.6 V8

southernd

Post by southernd »

MX5 4.6 V8

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

If you drop the 62-52 rods in and leave the same primary jets in place it will be loads richer on both the cruise and power circuit, not leaner. :wink:

southernd

Post by southernd »

So say 67/56 is leaner tab 62/52?
MX5 4.6 V8

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”