What a DJE stage 3?

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

sidecar wrote:I can not see any valve stem seals, just the bare top of the guides! :?
I think you may be right Pete! From a first glance it looks like the seals have been pushed onto short stubs. But looking again it seems the guides have been machined with a taper that looks like a push on stem seal. But if you look down the holes there isnt a join ?? But then looking again its the change of colour that fooled my old brain into seeing stem seals :)

SO!! there are NO seals fitted to those guides even though the guides appear to have been machined to take push on seals ?

Pel

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

mgbv8 wrote:
sidecar wrote:I can not see any valve stem seals, just the bare top of the guides! :?
I think you may be right Pete! From a first glance it looks like the seals have been pushed onto short stubs. But looking again it seems the guides have been machined with a taper that looks like a push on stem seal. But if you look down the holes there isnt a join ?? But then looking again its the change of colour that fooled my old brain into seeing stem seals :)

SO!! there are NO seals fitted to those guides even though the guides appear to have been machined to take push on seals ?

Pel
Hi Pel,

I don't even think that the guides have been machined to take seals, well not the blue seals anyway. In order to fit the blue seals a step down in diameter has to be machined into the guides. The chamfer on the guides is there from the factory.

Basically the heads are just bog stock 14 bolt jobbies that someone has scratched about with down the tracks. Plus a hacking off of the guides. The valves are just stock too. I feel sorry for the OP, I was in the same boat when I purchased my Cobra I was told that the heads were V8 Development stage III, they turned out to be stock! They are no longer stock. The OP seems to have disappeared from this thread!

Pete

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

sidecar wrote:
mgbv8 wrote:

Pel
Hi Pel,

I don't even think that the guides have been machined to take seals, well not the blue seals anyway. In order to fit the blue seals a step down in diameter has to be machined into the guides. The chamfer on the guides is there from the factory.

Basically the heads are just bog stock 14 bolt jobbies that someone has scratched about with down the tracks. Plus a hacking off of the guides. The valves are just stock too. I feel sorry for the OP, I was in the same boat when I purchased my Cobra, I was told that the heads were V8 Development stage III, they turned out to be stock! They are no longer stock. The OP seems to have disappeared from this thread!

Pete

chris-stockton
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by chris-stockton »

Sorry for my long absence here now got back to looking at all this again. The heads are no away with v8 developments to see what can be done. Spec of the bottom end doesn't seem to match either.

I guess someone has kept the good heads somewhere lol
93 tvr chimaera 430
91 westfield 430

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”