Rockers (RV8)

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Zaphod

Rockers (RV8)

Post by Zaphod »

As mentioned else where the engine in my discovery ticks when warm.

I have taken one of the rocker shaft assemblies out and put one from anoher engine in of unknown condition but looked OK this resulted in a singinficant impovement, in that the tick stated when the 'temp gauge' read at oppertaing temp and not at the 1/4 mark and the tick was much quieter, it was noticable inside the car before now you have to be outside it. Even with the window open and ideling it's not noticable

On exmination of the set I have removed I did find significant wear in the pushrod end (looks like it is plated and the plating has worn though) what I did not notice initially but has come to light since is some of the push rod seats rotate, some quiet freely, is this right? and if not would it result in a tick when warm?

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

The seats are 'staked' into place and they should not rotate, in fact the seats are one of the things that wear out on the rockers, the pushrod then wears straight through the seat and the actual rocker which is not nice.

The rocker pads are not plated as far a I know, they can also start to wear and break up on the surface. The only other place that the rockers wear out is in the main hole for the rocker shafts. (along with the shaft).

If your rockers are in a bad way then the cam followers are likely to be in a bad way along with the cam (possibly). This is another area for annoying noises to come from.

Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

It's odd, the 'pads' show no wear at all unless you count the clean patch, but once cleaned up there is no sign of any wear on that end. The rocker shaft is worn, but not excessively so. Only the cup end, I will have to get some photos, the surface of the cups have rather odd marks and the wear you describe is not there at all!

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”