converting to hotwire injection...._

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Jono FD3
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

converting to hotwire injection...._

Post by Jono FD3 »

Well finally I think I've had enough of my carb as obviously it's heavier on fuel and down on power compared to injection!!! So, what would you say is a reasonable price to pay for a full hot wire setup, with sensors, injectors, loom, ecu, afm, etc..... And how difficult is it to get going on a sd1 lump that's on a Holley at the moment??

Cheers
Jono
Last edited by Jono FD3 on Tue May 28, 2013 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Bear in mind that the SD1 never had the hotwire system, it had the flapper system.
The hotwire system was used on the Range Rover / Discovery. I believe in 3.5l form it was only used on the Disco.

I don't suppose that it would be very hard to install, and if everything is in working order you'll be away! However, fault finding is quite difficult, so it's well worth reading up on everything about it before starting.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by JSF55 »

Sell all your bits, buy a hotwire system, fit one of phils megasquirts and your there at no cost ! loads looking for rover crb and manifolds !
So thats where it went !

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: converting to hotwire injection...._

Post by DaveEFI »

Jono FD3 wrote:Well finally I think I've had enough of my carb as obviously it's heavier on fuel and down on power compared to injection!!! So, what would you say is a reasonable price to pay for a full hot wire setup, with sensors, injectors, loom, ecu, afm, etc..... And how difficult is it to get going on a sd1 lump that's on a Holley at the moment??

Cheers
Jono
Most of it simply bolts on. However, the fuel supply is very different - a high pressure pump with flow and return.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

daxtojeiro
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by daxtojeiro »

As Dave says,
the hardest bit in the hardware is the fuel supply.
Fuel pump
Fuel return pipe to tank
Catcher tank (a lot of fuel tanks need these adding on to keep the fuel pump fed when turning fast or accelerating)

http://www.extraefi.co.uk/basic_efi.htm

If you can do some wiring then sell the Lucas loom (or dont buy it) and make a new one for the MS, if you go that way. All the connectors are available for reasonable money.

thanks,
Phil

http://www.extraefi.co.uk/cobra/accobra.htm SuperCharged 5325cc V8 Cobra Replica (Full sequential Fuel and Ignition MS3 management)

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

IMHO you can save a deal of money by using a hotwire loom as the basis for a MegaSquirt one. They use thinwall cable protected by PVC sleeving which seems to survive the heat much better than flapper looms. Also includes a main and pump relay.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

bodger
Guru
Guru

Post by bodger »

hi jono , is that your drift truck ?
how about LPG
before you laugh too much , you could get a flapper or hotwire manifold .. and a simple single point lpg setup , vaporiser / mixer ring etc and stick it straight onto the plenum no injectors , no elecrics , no ecu etc etc .... no airflow meter ...
it works ive done it ... infact im running it pretty much like it now on the road ..
i have a flapper system on it but ive taken the airflow meter off and just have a lpg mixer ring there instead , works a treat with no poxy afm in the way .. if i get low on lpg and theres no filling station nearby i just pop the afm back until i fill up with lpg :D
remember it's only a bodge if it DOSN'T worK

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Ah, well, not sure LPG would work well with a drift truck. I find that if I am less than 1/2 full and I weave around, I can get the LPG to slosh around and move away momentarily from the feed pipe. Then the vehicle will switch back to petrol!

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

bodger
Guru
Guru

Post by bodger »

ah yes good point chris ...
mine never uses petrol now , not unless i cant get to a filli. station ..
ive even removed the AFM and just have a mixer and air filter on the plenum now :-)
it runs so much better without that flap in the way ..lol

bodger
Guru
Guru

Post by bodger »

ah yes good point chris ...
mine never uses petrol now , not unless i cant get to a filli. station ..
ive even removed the AFM and just have a mixer and air filter on the plenum now :-)
it runs so much better without that flap in the way ..lol

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”