how to identify my carb

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

series3-2007
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

how to identify my carb

Post by series3-2007 »

evening guys, just wondering if someone can clear up a little mystery, am guessing that most carbs have small metal plates with the id numbers on SU's well the plates are missing and am trying to source new linkages for them, sorry for quality of pics

can supply more pics if needed, just wondering if anyone can help

cheers mark

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

They are HIF44's. Further than that I can't say.

And did they come with that engine?, if so, what's the engine number?

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

series3-2007
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by series3-2007 »

as far as i know they came with the engine, so believe they have the same amount of wear as the engine has, which is very little,the engine number is CR813.1

25G00755B and roughly tracing this it was in a sherpa van

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I believe the Sherpa Van engines were the same as the Range Rover engines, but with a shorter water pump / pulley arrangement.

Therefore I would think that the carbs are Range Rover items.

Which is a bit odd as I thought that Range Rovers only used Strombergs, not SU's, but perhaps there was a period when SU's were used?

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Quagmire
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Quagmire »

I think early Discos may have had SU's
1974 Rover 3500s
1984 3.5 90
1959 2.25 series 2

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Quagmire wrote:I think early Discos may have had SU's
I think you are correct. However, those rocker covers are early, certainly by the Disco era, the squarer style ones had been in use for a decade or so.

Maybe the engine is actually a bitser.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

series3-2007
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by series3-2007 »

the engine did come with standard rv8 covers, but as i preferred and they polished better i opted for the "rover" covers instead, so thats my doing, all im really looking for is a complete set of linkages for the carbs instead of trying to make the bits up as a i go along

RoverP6B
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by RoverP6B »

series3-2007 wrote,...
the engine did come with standard rv8 covers, but as i preferred and they polished better i opted for the "rover" covers instead, so thats my doing, all im really looking for is a complete set of linkages for the carbs instead of trying to make the bits up as a i go along
Did you fit baffle plates to the rocker shafts at the appropriate ends as you have retro fitted the earlier P5B/P6B rocker covers?

I notice in one of your photos that your R/H side flame trap is not connected to the hose coming off the rocker cover.

Ron.
4.6 Rover 3500 P6B

series3-2007
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by series3-2007 »

sorry baffle plates? a little confused i was under the assumption that the rocker covers where a universal fit with just a different design the rockers did come off an sd1 and the engine number corresponds to it being an sd1

RoverP6B
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by RoverP6B »

series3-2007 wrote,...
sorry baffle plates? a little confused i was under the assumption that the rocker covers where a universal fit with just a different design the rockers did come off an sd1 and the engine number corresponds to it being an sd1
The rocker covers on the SD1 engine will indeed fit onto any of the Rover V8 engines, however all rocker covers except for the earlier ones like you have fitted have the baffle plates built into the covers. On engines purpose built for the earlier covers, ie P5B and P6B, there are baffle plates that attach onto the rocker shafts. These prevent oil from being drawn up through the flame trap hoses and into the carburettors. You can refit your SD1 covers without a problem, but using the early covers means fitting baffle plates otherwise your engine will be burn rather more oil than would otherwise be the case.

Ron.
4.6 Rover 3500 P6B

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”