Rover V8 ticks when warm

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

See photo of the thor V8! I'd have done this ages ago having done similar with Mini engines, but it's simply not posible with the late rover V8 :( the later inlet sits rght on top of the rocker covers and means you cant take them off while running, its also a right hassle taking it off, so its likely to have gone cold by the time you have taken the upper inlet off, removed the pipework, removed the rocker cover and then re assebled the pipework, refilled the cooling system and got the upper inlet back on so them you have to let it warm up again!

If using the the haynes rating system it's a 2 spanners thrown accross the workshop job just getting to them!

Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

OK I have a big clue I suspect. I put some STP in, curious to see what happened, however it did not cure the tick, however it did change the level on the temp guage at which it sets in from a 1/4 to very nearly 'operating temp' (I know the gauge is in fact a fancy idiot light and not a real one!) but the STP has certainly changed the temp at which it starts ticking so I am hopeful its not a slipping liner but I guess tappet and/or rocker wear?
Maybe an 82 degree 'stat will silence it till the weather is warmer (it currently has am 88 degree cream one) and I can do the rockers/tappets, cam and oil pump gears as it seem to me it must be oil pressure related

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”