What's your opinion on this cylinder head modification?

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Lewis
Getting There
Getting There

What's your opinion on this cylinder head modification?

Post by Lewis »

http://www.somender-singh.com/

What has been working since 1995 with countless engines modified and working well, has fairly recently been brought to the US from India. We have been contacted by volunteer testers in various locations around the world.

Somender SIngh has been awarded an US Patent for his discovery of how to gain more engine power and economy by utilizing a small groove cut into the squish area(s) of the typical Internal Combustion Engine (ICE). The Groove(s) allows gasses to expand and compress with a quality that has consistently improved fuel efficiency, lowered operating temperature, improved torque and max power as well as lowering idle speed significantly.

The Groove has beneficial effects on the compression stroke as well as the power stroke. On the compression stroke, the Groove channels the last bit of air/fuel mixture towards the combustion area, maintaining swirl until the spark provides ignition. On the power stroke, the Groove provides a channel for hot gasses to jet towards the cylinder wall and ignite comparatively more mixture in the squish area. It also appears that the Groove can destroy standing vortices in the squish areas as well.

Without grooves, the combustion is incomplete and unburned fuel remains in the cylinder. This unburned fuel is still expanding during the exhaust stroke. At the end of the exhaust stroke, the expanding unburned gases flow past the intake valve into the intake manifold, causing poor idle, carbon deposits and lower performance. Notice the areas left unburned. This is the extent of the flamefront.

Shown here are two different types of groove for illustration purposes only. Normally only one type of Groove is used. Follow this link to see many images of Grooved engines.

With the grooved cylinder heads, combustion is more complete leaving little unburned fuel behind, more of the fuel is used to generate power, reducing the time that internal surfaces are exposed to heat. (That’s also why engines typically run cooler with a Groove) This burn pattern appears silver.

For more comparison pictures go here http://somender-singh.com/content/view/65/43/

With the modified heads little or no unburned fuel remains during the exhaust stroke. With less burning fuel to expand during the overlap period, the gasses flowing past the intake valve are reduced, resulting in improved idle quality.

It has been conclusively proven that the Grooves are effective. It is also undisputed that the tune settings are significantly different between Grooved and unGrooved engines. It is simple to understand. If the same tune was used for an unGrooved engine, it wouldn't even start!

Since Grooved engines 'seem' to burn the fuel faster, you can wait to ignite the fuel-air mixture until the piston is near the top of its stroke. That leaves more energy pushing on the piston as the burning gasses expand.

The Groove 'seems' to create more mixing (turbulence) in the burning gasses, making sure that more of the fuel-air mixture gets to be completely burned before the exhaust ports open and the engine 'exhales' the used fuel-air mixture. By the way, a -surprising- amount of air-fuel mixture is NOT burned in every single stroke of your typical engine. It is allowed to exit through the tailpipe and is sometimes called pollution. It definitely is wasted fuel that you paid for with money .

The Groove reduces the amount of unburned fuel-air mixture leaving your engine and helps take advantage of the extra fuel burning. Visit the links referred to above and look closely at the cylinder heads and piston tops for signs of incomplete combustion. It usually shows up as a lighter color around the edge of the cylinder chamber. This is where pockets of fuel have not burned. It is obvious from the photo evidence that Grooved engines burn fuel more efficiently !!!

So, the main benefit of the Groove is not a specific single change, but the combination of power and efficiency improving effects. It certainly calls for a re-thinking of current Internal Combustion Engine theory and rapid adoption of this 'paradigm busting' discovery.

Now I've done a fair bit of reading around and come to neither a positive or negative conclusion....I don't think it's up to much though - but I wondered what you think.

From a typical cylinder head modification point of view to me it just looks like a nice pair of sharp edges to build up a lovely hot spot in the cylinder head that'll effect the burn......

......I did poke around and found one of the few 'official' benchmarks for it.

http://www.revsearch.com/grooves/grooves.html

Result - nil. Practically identical, exactly the variation of results you'd expect from a back-to-back run.

There's also a 14 page thread on the hotrodders forum that comes to absolutely no conclusion at all, with a lot of experience engine builders just going "meh" at it and a few pictures of nuked pistons......... and relatively few actually endorsing it and claming it helps.

It's been 7 years since he suggested the idea and there's been very little, if no development or copying since then which suggests it may be a bit of an oddball but you never know!

Anyone have any ideas about it? Most of the hot-rodders in the US seem to be using it in their drag engines now but the back-to-back testing is rare, suggesting that it's just a relatively innefective idea......

:?:

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

It looks like another "snake-oil" universal cure all, as you say youself lots of sharp edges (two nice points in the center of the combustion chamber) I think it may generate a little more swirl in the center of the cubbustion chamber, however tightening up the gap between the piston and the squish area would also do that.
What pistons are being used?
what compression ratio?
What Head gasket?
It all looks a bit to "one size fits all" type solution to me.
Mike
poppet valves rule!

IainB
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by IainB »

From seeing the posts over on OCUK im still of the opinion that this would create hot-spots in the chamber, havent heard of my drag teams using it either (not to say that people arent mind!)

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

There seems to be a contradiction between the pictures and what the inventor claims this miracle groove can do.
The second picture looks like a head off a side valve engine, possibly the most fuel inefficient design ever along with the heron head.

He'd save far more fuel by chucking that engine in the bin!.

Regards,

Pete

Paul B
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Paul B »

IainB wrote:From seeing the posts over on OCUK im still of the opinion that this would create hot-spots in the chamber, havent heard of my drag teams using it either (not to say that people arent mind!)
A drag racing buddy of mine used to grind a groove or notch in his Chubby high compression pistons right where they effectively blanked out the spark plug. He said it allowed the flame front to track across quicker, but it was all guesswork.
:roll:
Looks like a similar idea to the one above.

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

Paul B wrote:
IainB wrote:From seeing the posts over on OCUK im still of the opinion that this would create hot-spots in the chamber, havent heard of my drag teams using it either (not to say that people arent mind!)
A drag racing buddy of mine used to grind a groove or notch in his Chubby high compression pistons right where they effectively blanked out the spark plug. He said it allowed the flame front to track across quicker, but it was all guesswork.

I'm not too sure that it is the same thing as what your mate was doing.

Reprofiling the crown of the piston is a standard tuning practice that improves the speed of the flame front across the combustion chamber and is not exactly guesswork!! (The carbon build up shows what's doing on).

The problem with pistons with huge lumps on the crown is that they mess up the burn of the mixture by masking some of the air/fuel mixture until the piston is past TDC. Burning this mixture ATDC does nothing in terms of making BHP hence the mods to the crown.

Regards,

Pete.

HairbearTE
Guru
Guru

Post by HairbearTE »

I'd be amazed if the head in the top picture didnt blow the gasket where the grove points to the bolt hole.

Paul B
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Paul B »

sidecar wrote:
Paul B wrote:

I'm not too sure that it is the same thing as what your mate was doing.

Reprofiling the crown of the piston is a standard tuning practice that improves the speed of the flame front across the combustion chamber and is not exactly guesswork!! (The carbon build up shows what's doing on).

The problem with pistons with huge lumps on the crown is that they mess up the burn of the mixture by masking some of the air/fuel mixture until the piston is past TDC. Burning this mixture ATDC does nothing in terms of making BHP hence the mods to the crown.

Regards,

Pete.
Well, his words, he'd seen it done somewhere and copied it, but didn't know if it made any difference to the performance.

jan_rrc39v8

Post by jan_rrc39v8 »

i did the grooves on my 8V Volvo turbo that i used to own. i also used an MLS gasket for tight squish. I ran that grooved head for 30kkm. When i pulled the head: super clean pistontops, valves and white greyish exhaust ports, sparkplugs (1 spec colder) always super clean.
I know the car never ran lean because i used a AFR gauge in the car so i could monitor it real time.
I tried many fuels: RON95, RON98, LPG (injection vialle LPi) and E85 (440cc/min)
It ran very well on all fuels but on E85 it was very fast indeed!
(Cossie T3, full 3"exhaust, boost 15+psi, K-cam)
The ignition used an OEM knock sensing circuit so i can't evaluate the ignition side of things but the E85 experience tells me it wasn't pulling any timing because of knock (it tries to increase advance up to the point where it senses knock and pulls advance when it is knocking, it's a closed loop system.)

It was a fun project. Would i do it again? Probably not.
DD: RRC 3.9efi lpg, project: bmw e9 CS with 3.5L turbo + MS&S

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”