rv8 exhaust sound???

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

minor8pot

rv8 exhaust sound???

Post by minor8pot »

hi i have a rv8 vittesse engine with a cam,edel inlet and carb with headers,going into a 3"single pipe from y pipe back into a hks japenese rear box....when you start it its very quiet,even on idle you would be hard pushed to think its a v8,,,rev the car and yes its more throaty but does not sound right...put another way when you hear the old wedge tvr they sound really nice,and pop and bang down the gears...what can i do to get the raw v8 sound back...cheers...

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

a twin exhaust system

One per side of the engine

It means the pulses are uneven and that is probably the sound you want

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

minor8pot

Post by minor8pot »

do you really think that will cure it>>>i thought the wedge tvr was single box,and the griffith has the front facing manifolds into one pipe and therough the engine mount...??? and not twin...
i thought it was case of swapping the back box...mmm

Will Reeve
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Will Reeve »

My TR has two exhausts in effect, each side goes through it's own mid-box and back-box. There is a link pipe a few feet from the manifolds which I have been told is good for scavenging across the banks. The sound is that suberb un-balanced V8 noise!
My 5er in comparison doesn't sound of anything it's so silent! That joins the exhaust early on and has a single back box.

minor8pot

Post by minor8pot »

damn...only just had this exhaust done...

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

That sounds a bit odd Minor / Nige!!

I just fitted an exhaust to an MGB of my mates. It has blockhugger manifolds into a 2.%" Y connector. Then 2.5" pipe to a single box at the back.

She sounds very much like an unbalanced V8. And when cold she blows steam rings about 4 feet out the tail pipe!

Your back box may be too big in diameter??

My own MGB sounds really odd because it has two short 3" pipes from each collector sticking out behind each front wheel. When its cold it sounds like a machine form charlie and the chocolate factory. But when its warm it sounds evil :)

You do have to tit around a bit to get the exhaust note right.

What headers do you have fitted??

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

minor8pot

Post by minor8pot »

p38 headers in to y pipe then 3 inch to the back box...1 box...

topcatcustom
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by topcatcustom »

I'd be suprised if single mufflers with twin inlets will be completely split and not a common chamber as it helps with balancing- mine has a big fat X-pipe, my headers go to 2.5" pipes and dont get any smaller the whole way through to the real steel turbo mufflers and sounds pretty good, burbles nicely and pops and spits like its going out of fashion when you lift the throttle, makes plenty of heads turn!

I think you HKS back box is the problem, stick it on a TT Supra and it will sound pukka, get a new muffler from Real Steel and it will probably completely change it.
TC

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

And I'm different

Pots 2 and 3 from each side cross over and merger with 1 and 4 from the other bank

this means you get alternate pulses down each rear box

Aids scavanging of cylinders and is a GT40 only sound

It actually is like 2 tuned 4 cylinder engines running in perfect harmony

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

ian.stewart
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor
Location: Far Far south, any further south and my feet are wet

Post by ian.stewart »

Stick a 3" Flowmaster on the back, and bin the jap stuff, thats all I run, soundswell enough to gain a few comments
THE SMOKING GNU
12.604 with an old boiler of a RV8 and no gas
WHY are there so many IANS on this site???????

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

I suspect the japanese box is creating quite alot of back pressure, this will be making the 3" pipe act like a long expansion muffeler, net result a very effective silencer as the pulses are traveling back and forth several times along the pipe resulting in lots of small pulses cancelling each other out. As Ian says stick a free flowing box on the back to relace the restrictive one it should sort it out.
Mike
poppet valves rule!

minor8pot

Post by minor8pot »

ok thanks fellas...

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”