Flapper to Hotwire

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Duke_Thrust

Flapper to Hotwire

Post by Duke_Thrust »

Hello all,

I'm in the process of a full restoration of a Twin Plenum SD1 Vitesse and want to convert to Hotwire.

I've sourced a system from a Range Rover but am unable to determine the type of the ECU. So, first question, what ECU is this:

Okay, second question, I have the loom and the inlet manifold, plenum etc but I want to use my TP setup - will this cause problems with the stepper motor (lack thereof) or other things?

Third question, is there a simple explanation of the wiring, ie red wire on the hotwire system needs to go to the green on the flapper for the fuel pump? (I have the loom so I need to know which wires exit it to the cars main loom)

Fourth question, I have 2 Lucas 3AM AFM's as I heard a long time ago that they can be run in parallel? Is this the case?

Fifth question, I also have a reconditioned 6AM AFM - it looks like the same size diameter (by eye) as the 3AM, what are the differences? Is the 6AM any better?

Sorry for so many questions!!

Many thanks! :D
Last edited by Duke_Thrust on Thu May 29, 2008 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

if it is hotwire then http://www.v8forum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=606#606 for wiring diagram (link fixed)

Duke_Thrust

Post by Duke_Thrust »

Thanks I'll give that a good read.

Can the ECU that I have be re-mapped?

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

Only by replacing the chip and spending several hundred £££. In your case since your mixing and matching you would probably be better spending the money on a new ECU that is programmable. VEMS, MS, Emerald and the like, you will also get rid of the AFM then and wont have to bother about what will and wont work.

Duke_Thrust

Post by Duke_Thrust »

katanaman wrote:Only by replacing the chip and spending several hundred £££. In your case since your mixing and matching you would probably be better spending the money on a new ECU that is programmable. VEMS, MS, Emerald and the like, you will also get rid of the AFM then and wont have to bother about what will and wont work.
That's a good point but would I not have to get a replacement system mapped as well?

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

heres a link to mine when i did it,

http://www.v8forum.co.uk/forum/viewtopi ... 4461#24461
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

Duke_Thrust wrote: That's a good point but would I not have to get a replacement system mapped as well?
Yes you will but you have the option of doing it yourself where the replacement chip you dont. You can also change the system a lot more where a rechip you can't for example dump the restrictive AFM and go MAP. You can also go mapped ignition on some of the ECU's for no extra cost. Not for everyone for sure but it is an option. Other option is stick a carb on it and go old skool

Duke_Thrust

Post by Duke_Thrust »

katanaman wrote:
Duke_Thrust wrote: That's a good point but would I not have to get a replacement system mapped as well?
Yes you will but you have the option of doing it yourself where the replacement chip you dont. You can also change the system a lot more where a rechip you can't for example dump the restrictive AFM and go MAP. You can also go mapped ignition on some of the ECU's for no extra cost. Not for everyone for sure but it is an option. Other option is stick a carb on it and go old skool
It's probably been coverd a lot so do you know of a thread weighing up the pro's and con's of the diferent aftermarket systems?

Duke_Thrust

Post by Duke_Thrust »

Another question...

With the ECU above, would I have to run lambdas? I need to check the loom to see if it has the relevant connectors - if it does would I need to fit them?

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”