General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

JC.
Getting There
Getting There

Basic head rebuild on a budget

Post by JC. »

Hi,
I am a student trying to do a V8 conversion to an MGB on a tight budget.
I have a P6 engine that I intend to use as a temporary engine whilst I build up something a bit special as and when funds allow.

I bought a nice set of SD1 heads on eBay to go on my P6 V8 engine to give it a bit more grunt.

I want to re-lap the standard valves in.

What is the best way to do this? I know I have to get one of those double ended tins of grinding paste and a tool with a rubber cup on the end to twizzle the valve round.

Someone on another forum suggested putting the tool into a drill rather than grinding the valves in by hand. What are peoples thoughts on this?

Is there any reason why I cant re-use the original valves, springs and retainers?

Heads came complete.

I had planned to strip the heads completely keeping the valves and rocker gear in order and then cleaning the heads in petrol or parafin.

What would could be classed as acceptable play in the rockers? There is none on one cylinder head but a tiny little bit of movement on a couple of rockers on the other head.

Thanks in advance,

-JC.

Image -JC.

JC.
Getting There
Getting There

Post by JC. »

anyone??
Image -JC.

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

JC
I've got a complete set of rockers from my spare 4.6 heads with about 80k on them. You can have them if yours are too far gone. This will tide you over until you can do a proper refurb mate.

JC.
Getting There
Getting There

Post by JC. »

Would apriciate that, Perry, Thankyou.
I'll stick the heads in the back of the GT on new years day if you wouldnt mind casting your eyes over them?

Ive been cleaning them up with white spirit. Its working... slowly. Would be nice if I had a parts washer or something though!
Image -JC.

Paul B
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Paul B »

JC. wrote:Would apriciate that, Perry, Thankyou.
I'll stick the heads in the back of the GT on new years day if you wouldnt mind casting your eyes over them?

Ive been cleaning them up with white spirit. Its working... slowly. Would be nice if I had a parts washer or something though!
Go and buy a gallon of diesel from a garage, pinch your buddies toothbrush from the bathroom and have a good scrub at the heads. The diesel will clean them up pretty good.

You can use a small battery drill for lapping valves in, but be careful not to dwell too long, keep raising the valve off the seat every couple, of seconds to allow the grinding paste to redistribute itself, else you could gall a valve seat.

Have a look in the manual and see if there is a tolerance for rocker free play.

If it is just a temporary motor it hasn't got to be perfect. People get far too carried away building motors, which is good, but when you see the appalling conditions engines will run in you realise they don't have to be 110% perfect to give good reliable service, unless you plan thrashing the taters off it. :wink:

88 incher

Post by 88 incher »

For cleaning the heads on a budget, nip down to your local pay and play car wash, jet wash off the worst, and then give them a dose of Mr. Muscle Oven Cleaner. Wash off and bingo, almost as good as bead blasting!

Good luck with the build,

James

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi happy new year to all,
have any of you tried "Fairy power sprey" this stuff is leathal (it burns patches on my lawn) but is is wicked at removing oil and engine gunge. Spray it over said parts and hit with a jet washer about an hour later.... as said above.
Mike
poppet valves rule!

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

yes I have used it on pistons and stuff and it works well but the full oven cleaner is better for heavy stuff. Both leave your engine smelling great :lol: The office dishwasher works great on heads too, hope the boss doesn't read this.

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Marki
My dishawasher works great on engine parts too. But I got busted a while back when the wife came home early and found my old carbs in it, DOH!!

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

not sure what's worse getting sacked or getting divorced, probably best not to get caught really. Either way it works a treat just a shame the blocks dont fit in :lol:

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Almost makes you think it might be worth buying the wife a new one and plumbing the old one in the garage eh!!
I do love the Lemon fresh smell on the engine parts too...

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”