Fuel pressure regulator-Confused!

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

stevieturbo wrote:Well....I guess the pump could fail. Although TBH, I dont think Ive ever had a Bosch style pump fall apart that badly. Usually they just stop working.

Ideally I guess you would have a filter after the pump. Space is tight.....and I just didnt bother lol.
I dont know what the construction is inside the pump, but if it had bronze bushes - they could be slowly wearing and slowly clogging up your injectors?

Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

kev_the_mole
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kev_the_mole »

I didn't have a filter after the high pressure pump because there's not one on the Megasquirt site drawing and I reasoned that if all the fuel was filtered from the lift pump then it would be OK as anything on the swirl pot circuit would be clean. But with the extra information (breakdown of pump bearings etc.) of my new drawing has a high pressure filter after the high pressure pump.

You live and learn especially on this forum :D

Cheers Guys

It's an engine Jim.....but not as we know it ;)

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

kev_the_mole wrote:I didn't have a filter after the high pressure pump because there's not one on the Megasquirt site drawing and I reasoned that if all the fuel was filtered from the lift pump then it would be OK as anything on the swirl pot circuit would be clean. But with the extra information (breakdown of pump bearings etc.) of my new drawing has a high pressure filter after the high pressure pump.

You live and learn especially on this forum :D

Cheers Guys
Where is that shown?

Found this one, which includes the filter:
http://www.megamanual.com/v22manual/minj.htm#supply
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Eliot wrote:
stevieturbo wrote:Well....I guess the pump could fail. Although TBH, I dont think Ive ever had a Bosch style pump fall apart that badly. Usually they just stop working.

Ideally I guess you would have a filter after the pump. Space is tight.....and I just didnt bother lol.
I dont know what the construction is inside the pump, but if it had bronze bushes - they could be slowly wearing and slowly clogging up your injectors?
Really, there is actually very little inside.
The one I did take apart, was like mmmm hard to describe. One of those games you put coins into and rotated then they fell out the other end, was the pumping mechanism, which was tiny !!! ( bit solder jammed it, after I soldered a pickup into my mini petrol tank yrs ago )

The rest of the pump is just one big motor !!
I think I have an old one lying about, I might cut it up for a nosey

But I see what your saying.....I guess it is possible. Most injectors have a gauze trap at their intake which should catch big debris. I guess smaller bits might just fly through at full load lol.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

winkle
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by winkle »

OK, filter post pump makes sense as does filter pre pump. Crap from the tank is likely to flow straight into the pump and lunch it anyway otherwise :lol:
While we are on this subject, what ID fuel line do people use from tank to pump (or pre filter!) 13,10,8mm. Read somewhere it should be 13mm?

Steve.
Live dangerously, syphon fuel, smoke in bed, run with scissors

kev_the_mole
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kev_the_mole »

Where is that shown?
Eliot,

it's on the same page but lower in a section entitled "Surge Tank" which I would guess is American for swirl pot or maybe not. If you reload the page with my drawing on it you will see I have added another filter after the HP pump. Joy of the internet and all that!

Ian

It's an engine Jim.....but not as we know it ;)

IainB
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by IainB »

winkle wrote:While we are on this subject, what ID fuel line do people use from tank to pump (or pre filter!) 13,10,8mm. Read somewhere it should be 13mm?

Steve.
Im going to be running a 12AN line from tank to filter to pump then a 10AN feed and return....dont know what that is in MM though - its a tad big though :twisted:

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

As big as possible ( sensible ) from tank to pump. This needs to be non-restrictive.

But bare in mind the size of the pump inlet, and length of pipe used to get there.

Bit daft using a 2" hose feeding a 10mm inlet pump.

On the other hand, if it was a 3m long hose only 10mm diam....then of course that could be restrictive.

On the high pressure side, 8mm OD is plenty for most applications ( hardline ) with 10mm leaving ample.

Im using a 1/2" OD hardline tube post-pump with no probs.

I have a single 5/8" feeding both pumps. Not ideal perhaps, but my fuel tank was only constructed with one outlet.
I had no idea where my car was going at that time !!!! lol
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

blitzracing

Post by blitzracing »

Couple of points in this one. Firstly dont use a rising rate (ie boost type) fuel pressure regulator, it confuses the hell out of the ECU, that allready provides enough fuel enrichment. A bog standard 1:1 regulator will do just fine. Secondly, if you are using Lambda Sensors, the ecu will wind the mixture back to 14.5:1 as far as it can below about 3000 rpm or 3/4 throttle. Above this there is no control so the mixture will change with pressure. If you dont use Lamda probes, the mixture will change throughout the rev range, and can lead to overfueling at low speed. You can compensate somewhat for this by altering the CO adjustment on the air flow meter, but you need a gas analyser to get it correct. The DC voltages stated for setting it will be wrong if the fuel pressure is not standard. If you simply want more power, then a good bet is to use the TVR Chimeara ECU chip, that provides significant gains over the Range Rover fuel map.

Lastly pumps. The failures I have seen are due to bits of fuel tank rust getting caught in the internal rotors (They work a bit like a Wankle engine), so the tolerances are pretty fine.

Its all here:
http://www.g33.co.uk/fuel_injection.htm

Mark

winkle
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by winkle »

Lot of interesting reading there Mark, thanks for that. Have been on your website before but not the EFI section.

Cheers
Steve
Live dangerously, syphon fuel, smoke in bed, run with scissors

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”