H pipe / balance pipes

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

paulsv8manta
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

H pipe / balance pipes

Post by paulsv8manta »

Hi guy's, I'm finally getting around to building my exhaust! Can anyone tell me the distance from the exhaust manifold the balance pipe should be.
Cheers paul

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I have never seen a specific distance stated.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Darkspeed
Guru
Guru

Post by Darkspeed »

In my mind the best location is as close as practicable to the collectors. No idea where that came from but its there so probably read it somewhere.
Near the collector also sounds quite logical to me.

Andrew
4.5L V8 Ginetta G27

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Where it fits and can get around sump, transmission, steering rack, suspension, cross members etc.

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

There are so many factors involved with this such as already stated. On most European cars there is not much option but to put it where it will fit.
I would say that an x piece is better than an H arrangement.

In theory it would be possible to calculate the position for best torque or power point but bench testing would probably be needed also.

I have heard somewhere ( which I'm not convinced about) that the x should be placed at the point down the system where paint on the system hasn't burnt off but that doesn't seem to be very theoretical.
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

paulsv8manta
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by paulsv8manta »

Thanks guys for getting back to me.
I've heard the X pipe is the better route to take, I'll try and see if i can fit it in as far forward as poss.
Cheers
Paul

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

DEVONMAN wrote:I have heard somewhere ( which I'm not convinced about) that the x should be placed at the point down the system where paint on the system hasn't burnt off but that doesn't seem to be very theoretical.
That trick was told to me by an old tuner of 2-strokes. Paint the tail pipe and run the engine hard and the paint will blister badly to a point. Cut the pipe there and you have the optimum length for that system.
Cheers,
John

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

unstable load wrote:
DEVONMAN wrote:I have heard somewhere ( which I'm not convinced about) that the x should be placed at the point down the system where paint on the system hasn't burnt off but that doesn't seem to be very theoretical.
That trick was told to me by an old tuner of 2-strokes. Paint the tail pipe and run the engine hard and the paint will blister badly to a point. Cut the pipe there and you have the optimum length for that system.
Thanks for that.
I'm glad someone else has heard this theory. :D
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

Darkspeed
Guru
Guru

Post by Darkspeed »

4.5L V8 Ginetta G27

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”