Twin exhausts

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Twin exhausts

Post by DaveEFI »

On an RV8, what are the pros and cons with having two entirely independent exhausts (left bank and right bank) over combining them at some point? Ignoring material costs.

Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Spongo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Spongo »

OOOOOOeeerrrrr big can of worms but from my very basic knowledge a balance pipe is required between the two to help the scavange effect that the exhaust pulses create, these help draw them away from the engine and make it breath better. The actual distance that the balkance pipe is from the engine can also effect the engines "breathability" as well.

I am sure there will be many more people with more knowledge than me to come up much more detailed answers
Range Rover 630R or otherwise known as the Money Pit
MS2 with switch MAPS for LPG
Techedge Wideband Sensor

v8250
Getting There
Getting There

Post by v8250 »

Spongo wrote:OOOOOOeeerrrrr big can of worms but from my very basic knowledge a balance pipe is required between the two to help the scavange effect that the exhaust pulses create, these help draw them away from the engine and make it breath better. The actual distance that the balkance pipe is from the engine can also effect the engines "breathability" as well.

I am sure there will be many more people with more knowledge than me to come up much more detailed answers
"wot ee said, gov'..."

I have this point to address on the MG - twin tail pipe exhaust system c/o MGOC/made by Double S in Devon; but has no balance pipe or x-over. And that does not make for a good V8 system. Nor, in fact, is it a very nice sound.

My previous V8's I've always fitted a 1.5-1.75" balance pipe where a x-over is impractical, normally located close to the narrow point of the bellhousing. It must be of a flexible joint/pipe material. Too small/big a pipe dia and the scavenge pulse is either too weak or too strong resluting
in loss of efficiency and ultimately power.

Google search 'v8 exhaust x-over / h pipe', there's a lot of good tech data out there. Also worth reading up on v-twin and 2-stroke engine exhaust systems as both rely of the exhaust frequency to gain/maintain power.

As an aside, I've always had a 'thing' for pulse jets. Have you seen this?
The crazily great Colin Furze

Last edited by v8250 on Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cammmy
Getting There
Getting There

Post by cammmy »

Depends on the tune you are going for really. The best is to actually merge both into a single pipe for (from memory) 18" - 24" before splitting them again.

Spongo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Spongo »

Thats what my Rangie has its merged into a single silencer :) "honestly officer" then splits into 2 again before blasting out of the back
Techedge Wideband Sensor

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I did two separate systems on my Landie for a bit. Very noisy and sounded rubbish. The balance pipe made it sound much better.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

v8250
Getting There
Getting There

Post by v8250 »

ChrisJC wrote:I did two separate systems on my Landie for a bit. Very noisy and sounded rubbish. The balance pipe made it sound much better.

Chris.
This +1.

Dave, thought it would be good to share some different sounds of exhaust for all.

1. MGB V8 conversion with no balance pipe/x-over with a slightly livelier cam. To me, and it's a personal thing, this is not a good sound at idle and low rpm.

2. MGB V8 with Cherry Bombs - this does sound sooooooooooooo good!

3. Conventional V8 with single sports...it sounds very good

4. And finally, some old codger in a home brewed special...would your bonnet look as good...? And maybe struggle with the neighbours...

'Hello Perry...'

Pitschi
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Pitschi »

Spongo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Spongo »

There is a not very scientific way of finding out where the balance pipe needs to be, go for a fast blat and see where the exhaust is hottest, that was what I was told many many many years ago. Dont think this was exactly very well constructed as an idea but if it works :)
Techedge Wideband Sensor

Devonrod
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Devonrod »

I have a balance pipe around the gearbox area, straight across, between the pipes, not ideal but my exhaust goes where I can run it, then there is a kick up the width of the pipe, then straight through oval 18 inch boxes just before the rear axle then the pipes go under the axle to the rear, its not noisy at all, sounds great.

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Rover 3.9 V8
Full 180 degree cross over

Basically take the middle 2 pipes from each bank and put them into the other side collector

It then pulses alternatively down each pipe

Or sounds like 2 straight 4 engines in perfect unison

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

volospian
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by volospian »

No balance pipes on mine (although it's not an rv8). Mind you, each header goes straight out the side of the car in to a 5" side pipe. I think it sounds fine :)

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

Spongo wrote:There is a not very scientific way of finding out where the balance pipe needs to be, go for a fast blat and see where the exhaust is hottest, that was what I was told many many many years ago. Dont think this was exactly very well constructed as an idea but if it works :)
I was told to give it a spray of aerosol paint and go for a blat. Where the worst burning of the paint stops is where the pipe needs to be.

Same for tuning a 2-stroke pipe, cut the tailpipe off at the hottest point.
Cheers,
John

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”