Sump Gasket

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sump Gasket

Post by richardpope50 »

My TVR RV8 5.0l (steel) sump gasket leaks and as the engine is out of the car I have a chance to change it. However there seem endless cost permutations of gaskets from cork to synthetic, from simple sump to a full bottom set. Cheapest eBay version seems a full bottom kit for £15 all in so appeals to me.

I've not taken off a V8 sump before so:

1. Do I need a full set or just a sump gasket?
2. Is cork fine?
3. I usually use some (standard DIY) silicon to add extra seal. Is this a good idea here?
4. What torque settings are the sump bolts?

Thanks in advance.

Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

The later 'rubber' gaskets for the rockers seem to be a big improvement over cork so I'd guess the same applies to the sump?

Torque setting given for my SDI sump bolts is 10 lb.ft
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I have also had oil leaking down the threads of the longer two bolts at the rear of the sump. A few blobs of sealant on the bolt threads cured that.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

SimpleSimon
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by SimpleSimon »

TVR originally used silicone sealer but no gasket, i am not a lover of using just silicone sealer on it's own in this area and suggest using a cork gasket with a smear of Wellseal/Hylomar and seal the 2 rear bolts as the holes they screw into are not blind but open at the end, i prefer to use four studs and the rest bolts to locate everything when going up & closing the joint, just in case your curious there have been lots of reported oil pressure failures from over zealous use of silicone sealer's on the TVR sumps, the oil pick-up strainer cant cope with strands of silicone sealer floating around in the oil :shock: gently nip up the bolts in a criss cross pattern and check them in a couple of weeks for best results.
TVR Chimaera RV8 Mods & Megasquirt

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

I do sumps and gaskets on tin work as follows.
Thoroughly clean both sufaces and de-grease, check both surfaces are flat (especially the sump side) with a piece of glass, some spray engineers blue and some brasso (spray the mating face with blue, put brasso on the piece of glass and put it on a flat surface, rub the gasket face onto the glass/brasso and look at it for low spots. . . they will be blue! :shock: ). Use the same components and your imagination for the other face.
Once both are flat stick the gasket to the sump with evostick, a wipe of clean oil on the block face and a wipe of silicone on the bolt threads where necessary, but only enough to seal the threads. Tighten them to the correct torque in a pattern working out from the centre two bolts an at least 3 stages finger tight, 5ftlb and 10 ftlb. Remember at 5 ftlb and 10 ftlb your torque wrench may be on the inacurate side, check it! Do not over tighten the bolts, 95% of sump leaks are because the gasket face being distorted because the bolts are overtight.
This is basically the same way Ian Stewart and it works!
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

Many thanks for the useful information.
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

If you have a cross bolted block, 4 of the sump bolts (2 each side)coincide with the cross bolt drillings and these need some sealer on the threads to prevent oil seeping down the sump bolts.

Cheers Denis
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

davemgb
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by davemgb »

Cork gaskets seem to come in two thicknesses, one about 3-4mm which is usually quite soft and I try to avoid these. The other is only 2mm thick and quite firm which I've not had problems with provided you seal the bolts as detailed above.

Best sealant I've used is Loctite 3699 - it's a grey rtv type intended for oil and water exposure on engines.

Dave

Return to “Engines Area”